News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Green Mucilin - May Damage Fly Lines ?

Started by Bobfly, April 20, 2017, 04:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Silicone on a car would leave a "sticky" surface to which dust/dirt would adhere, it also shows fingerprints.
It is used in some wood finishes- particularly those deemed "food safe"- but there it is absorbed into the wood.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Billy

Quote from: Roobarb on April 21, 2017, 02:46:25 PM
There's summit wrong with yours!
It was always a soft waxy sort of substance, a bit like a stiff dubbing wax.

Andy

I'll get back to you on that. It's in Aberdoom.

Billy

Bobfly

They did make bottles of liquid Mucilin, but the Red and Green pastes always came in a little round tub and with a piece of felt inside for using on a line or furled leader.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

rannoch raider

I think what you may have is some sort of a floatant aid for dry flies Billy. You drop the damp fly in the tub of powder, give it a shake and it dries out leaving it neat and buoyant again.

Billy

I have that stuff as well but this stuff is like the usual mucilage tin only with dry powder in it.

Billy

mattheweastham

I've always used the red stuff to be honest and if I'm expecting to fish dries, will run the tip 5 foot of fly line, plus all but the tip 3 foot of tapered leader through the cloth pad before fishing, just to ensure it sits nice and high and lifts off cleanly. One treatment usually suffices although sometimes a second one is necessary later in the day if I feel the leader is starting to sit down a bit during the afternoon. I read something on the 'forum whose name shall not be spoken' this week where someone  (an advocate of furled leaders because they 'offer better turnover'!), claimed to have to treat a tapered copolymer leader every third cast. What planet are these people on?!
Matt

Wildfisher

sagecirca

Quote from: mattheweastham on April 23, 2017, 10:29:30 AM....claimed to have to treat a tapered copolymer leader every third cast. What planet are these people on?!
Matt

Yeh I asked him about that M.  I said that was a bit excessive and that by using dilly wax I only need to treat my leader 3 times a day.  Kind lost interest in his reply to that.

bibio1

I've used the green and red stuff for years. Never noticed a difference between them. I do like it. It's cheap, easily applied and the container is robust...lasts for ages as well.

Paul

Go To Front Page