News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Windows 10 Update

Started by Inchlaggan, October 19, 2017, 04:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Good old Microsoft have notified me of an update to Windows 10 that must be installed before essential security updates can be installed.
The update is 5GB in size, my download speed is 0.2mbps- ain't no way!
I tried it, it took 24 hours, then the installation of the update failed.
It is now starting again from scratch, beginning with the download. I cannot find the .exe file or whatever else was downloaded the first time- any ideas where that might be?
The notification of the update worryingly has a code number that begins with my initials- and I do not think that is a coincidence.
I am working on the basis that the upgrade is linked to the licence number of my Windows 10 product, so there is no point in anyone downloading the update and sending it to me on a disk or memory stick.
That leaves me with taking the PC to an expert in a fibre area and paying him to update the machine.
Any other ideas or am I talking pish again?
Thanks
Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Don't worry all Windows service packs and updates start with KB   :lol:

Have you tried doing a global search for something like KB*.*

Inchlaggan

Genius! Thank You. Found it, correct size, number and date. But there is no .exe file, just cab folders to be extracted, and I do not know where to!
Will search the web.
Thanks again

Ken
Go."

nacnud

My advice would be don't!
I downloaded the update to Win 10, this from Win 7 and have had nothing but trouble since and I'm on cable so no problem with download speed or capacity. It was that bad I've bought an iMac.
Strangely enough my friend bought a new laptop with Win 10 installed and has had no problems. Not sure if it's my suspicion mind but everyone I've spoken to that downloaded the free upgrade has had problems.

Inchlaggan

Thanks Fred, feck, it is no easy!
Nacnud- this is not the W7-10 update but an update for 10 itself. Too late to tell me not to do the 7-10 update- I have already made that error! Thanks for your input though.
Go."

superscot

Been using windows 10 pro for the past year plus with all updates and not one single bit of bother ! Even bought office which for me was a first and again hassle free

Go To Front Page