News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Travel Rod

Started by johnny boy, February 09, 2020, 10:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

Hi guys, I am looking for a mid priced travel rod, not specifically looking to buy here but will do if I can get one.

What would you recommend as a decent travel/smuggler rod, I am looking for a 7 weight and 10 foot, 9.5 would also be OK, any suggestions?

Budget is up to 100 quid, not a lot I know but when you have kids at uni then every penny becomes a prisoner  :D

Bobfly

Shakespeare Agility2 Exp Fly would give you a 7 piece travel rod for £80 with a 10 foot 7 wt. I have an early 9 foot 6wt which has a nice medium action and obviously breaks down small.  Newer rods have a a smarter fit and finish.
My three young ones are all in their forties but my pension poondies are still in need of conservation.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

arawa

Hello Johnny – long time no speak.
As you know, I love my Hardy Smuggler but it is more than you wish to spend.
I have also tried and liked the Orvis Clearwater travel rods and they are on sale here but only up to 9ft versions and again over budget although they do appear sometimes cheaper on ebay.

https://www.garryevans.co.uk/orvis-clearwater-frequent-flyer-rods---save-60-20223-p.asp

In your spec I cannot beat Bobfly's recommendation and I see there is a new 9'6" model for £50 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shakespeare-AGILITY-2-EXP-Travel-Fly-Rod-7-pieces-6-9ft-6-Fly-rod/372892678288?hash=item56d222b890:g:nh8AAOSwcBpeBger

and a 10ft #7 for £65.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shakespeare-Agility-2-EXP-7-Piece-Travel-Fly-Fishing-Rod-Cordura-Tube/253258949465?epid=2268191448&hash=item3af768e359:m:m7rhm4PK7BeE2PRjesojRgQ

Good hunting.
David

johnny boy

Thanks guys, the Agility 2 was what i was thinking i would end up with but to be honest i am a bit surprised at the lack of options in this price range.

Its interesting you say it is a medium action as Shakespere's own description is 'crisp', which i converted to stiff (i prefer a medium action rod).  Do you think they changed the action when they upgraded it to the Agility 2?

caorach

This is my second attempt at posting this so if it appears twice...

However I use the Leeda Volare IV in a 7 weight 11 foot but they also make a 6 piece version in a range of lengths and weights. If you are happy enough with a 4 piece then the Volare IV is a good rod and because they seem to have stopped making them so you can pick them up for around £40 if you shop around, though there aren't many left. Same with the Volare VI which is the 6 section version. So that gives you another option.

Bobfly

My one is the first type and it is what I would say is medium these days. Shakespeare might say if they firmed it up more for the second generation if you have a word with their helpline. With the 7 piece make up mine goes down to 18 inches and goes inside the sack or the float tube pockets.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

johnny boy

Hi Philip, another one that says fast action, is that all anyone wants these days 🤔

I do think the 6 or 7 section versions will be better for my purposes, I already have a 4 piece rod but it's slightly too long for what I am looking for.

Will wait to see if any more suggestions come forward, don't need it till July but want to play with it before I head on my holiday.

arawa

If the Agility did turn out to be too "fast", slow it down with a slightly heavier line.

Brook

What about a Maxcatch traveller Johnny?
Only do nine foot in seven weight but they seem to get good reviews.
Around £50 posted. They sometimes do discount codes, you might get it even cheaper.

johnny boy

I had seen them as well, be interested to see if anyone has used one and what they think of them

Go To Front Page