News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

wanted: Leeda fishing rod

Started by caorach, November 11, 2020, 08:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

It is a long story but does anyone have a Leeda Volare IV in the 11 foot 7 weight version they might want to sell? Basically they don't make them any more.

The long story is that I had 2 of them but one broke on me as I lifted off to cast, I kept the bits as a spare and over time sort of destroyed the cork handle on the good rod so I moved the other butt section over to it. However, this means that my spare/parts rod now has two sections with faults. I don't much mind getting something different but it seemed worthwhile to ask in case someone out there has one they are looking to sell. I like it and get on well with it, but being adaptable I can pretty much get on with anything reasonable, so I'm kind of working on the basis that it worked for me so why would I change. However if I have to change and anyone has anything else suitable I might also be interested.

fergie

Actually I was looking for the same just a few weeks ago as I'm looking for a new heavier  rod and I really like the #4 volaire I have.
A few places were still advertising them but they were out of stock. Out of production. Maybe a thorough Google search of all the companies out there. Surely someone has one in their store room.

Noddy

Gary Evans has it in a 10ft 4# https://www.garryevans.co.uk/leeda-volare-fly-rods---less-than-half-price-last-few-remaining-14787-p.asp

Jim

Sorry did not see that it said out of stock.

caorach

Quote from: fergie on November 12, 2020, 09:58:03 PM
Actually I was looking for the same just a few weeks ago as I'm looking for a new heavier  rod and I really like the #4 volaire I have.
A few places were still advertising them but they were out of stock. Out of production. Maybe a thorough Google search of all the companies out there. Surely someone has one in their store room.

Just be aware that the 7 weight feels like a completely different creature to the 4 weights as I have two of the #4s as well as my #7s. I'd say the 7 weight is maybe a wee bit faster and it feels like it has a lot more power lower down in the rod or something. I can cast either of them no bother and like both, but the 7 weight isn't really just a heavier version of the 4 in my view.

In the end people have very plastic brains and can pretty much adapt to anything and I kind of take that attitude, given the choice between going fishing with any random rod that's handed to me or not going fishing at all then I'm going fishing and I'm going to enjoy it :-)

fergie

I don't think I'm a good enough caster for the rod to make much difference.
I'm still using the same old Shakespeare fly rod I got for my 14th birthday. But it's getting past it.

caorach

Quote from: fergie on November 13, 2020, 11:35:25 PM
I don't think I'm a good enough caster for the rod to make much difference.
I'm still using the same old Shakespeare fly rod I got for my 14th birthday. But it's getting past it.

I'm exactly the same, I'm pretty much equally bad with anything :-)

I have an 11 foot 7 weight Leeda that I got for a birthday many years ago that I still use and, in fact, until I bought the Volare rods it was my main rod for everything. The only slight downside is that it is a 2 piece rod so not as handy to carry but it still does the job and when i'm fishing it is usually in the back of the car ready for action.

Bobfly

Have you considered fixing up the butt with the damaged cork?   I recently replaced a handle section after cutting away a section that moved on the rod butt itself. You can buy cork rings, cut through, then glue them on and glue between them and tape over the whole lot with self amalgamating tape. That gives a good grip surface.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

caorach

Quote from: Bobfly on November 14, 2020, 03:54:12 PM
Have you considered fixing up the butt with the damaged cork?   I recently replaced a handle section after cutting away a section that moved on the rod butt itself. You can buy cork rings, cut through, then glue them on and glue between them and tape over the whole lot with self amalgamating tape. That gives a good grip surface.

I had sort of thought of that but with the break in it as well it still means I don't have 2 complete rods and I like a main and a spare. I have my 2 piece Leeda and also a Sage that was made for me by Dave Lewis so if I break the other one it isn't the end of the world but as they were £64 I thought it might be worth adding another one if I could find one. I still might repair the cork just to have spare "bits" but also fancy a spare 4 piece rod to keep in the car.

Bobfly

I obviously lost track of the faults !
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

fergie

After looking online there is some lovely looking rods available for under £60.

Go To Front Page