News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Poacher's Rod

Started by Wildfisher, July 03, 2022, 03:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

One high lochan I used to fish a lot - before I fished it I phoned the estate office asking about permits - offering to pay - and was told in no uncertain terms there was no fishing allowed.

I fished it many times anyway and only ever met one person up there - Prince Charles - he wasn't fishing and neither was I when we met. By the way the loch was not on the queen's estate. Odd thing was he was alone and with no security, so clearly he wasn't expecting to meet anyone up there either.

Inchlaggan

A gentleman, who lived by the river, prided himself on putting a fresh salmon on the table for New Year's Day.
The new riparian owner dismissed the tale as impossible- "there were no salmon in the river that early" and illegal.
The gentleman suggested otherwise and pointed out that nobody watched the river on Hogmanay.
You know where this is going.......
I first-footed the gentleman around 1am one Ne'er Day. There was a still-live salmon in the kitchen sink.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

IanR

Quote from: Inchlaggan on July 04, 2022, 05:38:23 PM
A gentleman, who lived by the river, prided himself on putting a fresh salmon on the table for New Year's Day.
The new riparian owner dismissed the tale as impossible- "there were no salmon in the river that early" and illegal.
The gentleman suggested otherwise and pointed out that nobody watched the river on Hogmanay.
You know where this is going.......
I first-footed the gentleman around 1am one Ne'er Day. There was a still-live salmon in the kitchen sink.

:D :)

ianmck

I've been thinking about getting a poachers rod myself  ;D

Lost count of the times I've been out hillwalking and spied a wee lochan that looked worth a cast but didn't have a rod.

As far as I'm concerned, all hill lochs are fair game, regardless of whether some sketchy estate claims it's theirs or not. At the end of the day, I am not taking any fish. If some toff appears in an ATV with clients in tow, I would leave anyway. They can only ask you to leave after all...

To be fair we have it quite good up here with access. I was down south for work last week in rural Berkshire and everywhere you look is trespassers will be prosecuted signs. I had a look at a chalkstreamish river as i was crossing a bridge. It had signs up saying syndicate fishing, private land etc. Directly below the bridge I watched a large brownie of around 5lb just cruising around. Looked into the fishing rights and they don't even fish it for trout, only interested in the course fish!  :D A different world down there.

Hill loch gold

Quote from: admin on July 04, 2022, 09:16:05 AM
but I have heard it said that the best way is just go with stealth, take no fish and leave no trace.

That's what i've done on many a loch for years Fred 😂

Wildfisher

Quote from: ianmck on July 04, 2022, 08:32:38 PM

It's something every serious hill walker should have.   ;D

arawa

Quote from: ianmck on July 04, 2022, 08:32:38 PM

Lost count of the times I've been out hillwalking and spied a wee lochan that looked worth a cast but didn't have a rod.

Hardy Demon Smuggler. 8ft 4-weight. Brilliant and surprisingly versatile rod.

caorach

I have the 10ft 7 weight version of that rod Fred and find it a really good rod. A little bit faster than my 11ft 7 weight Agility or Leeda but still well up to the job. I'd have another one.

Wildfisher

Well I got this rod and took it down to the river for a trial cast with a Maxcatch Gold line. Frankly I'm astonished how good it is.  It is quite stiff  and fast but I'm  used to rods like that.  Very good value for money.

caorach

Quote from: admin on July 05, 2022, 02:39:31 PM
Well I got this rod and took it down to the river for a trial cast with a Maxcatch Gold line. Frankly I'm astonished how good it is.  It is quite stiff  and fast but I'm  used to rods like that.  Very good value for money.

Always nice to get something decent at a good price :-)

What annoys me is that I like the Rio Versatip fly line on my 7 weight rods, and they are nearly £200 now and don't really wear that well. Makes the rods seem very good value indeed.

Go To Front Page