News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Poacher's Rod

Started by Wildfisher, July 03, 2022, 03:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: caorach on July 05, 2022, 04:16:45 PM
Always nice to get something decent at a good price :-)

Indeed. I may even buy an #8 wt for the pike.    :)

Wildfisher

I've now ordered the 8wt version so I'll let you know how  it goes.

You just can't have too many rods.   ;)

Laxdale

Quote from: admin on July 04, 2022, 09:16:05 AM
A useful  thing to have. There are so many lochs with no commercial fishing value and you know that asking for permission is a sure way to be met with a blanket refusal. I don't blame the estates, I'd likely say no myself were I in their position  Saying yes is a sure-fire way to end up with a trashed loch, dead fish, litter,   all the usual stuff. I certainly do not condone poaching, but I have heard it said that the best way is just go with stealth, take no fish and leave no trace. No one is any the wiser, no one gets angry, no one gets hassle. I guess this is where the rod in the rucksack comes into it's own. I wouldn't know though.   :)

If I had my card in my pocket, you would be opening your rucksack (or plod would at the road).
I had a day ruined by a "leave no trace guy" at Hamanavay a few years ago (or rather the two elderly punters had). Up to that point, I cared not about the freeloaders, I do now.

Wildfisher

Aye you have to watch them for sure!    ;D

Wildfisher

Just took delivery of the 9 1/2 foot #8 weight. Looks good and comes with 3 fighting butt options - none, small and large.  :)

Guest_8

Quote from: Laxdale on July 09, 2022, 07:17:53 PM
If I had my card in my pocket, you would be opening your rucksack (or plod would at the road).
I had a day ruined by a "leave no trace guy" at Hamanavay a few years ago (or rather the two elderly punters had). Up to that point, I cared not about the freeloaders, I do now.

It may be different where you fish, but there's not a cats chance in hell I'm challenging folk on the local rivers, and even less chance that the Polis would be interested, sadly.

Crawhin

Quote from: Laxdale on July 09, 2022, 07:17:53 PM

But that's surely a different thing Laxdale?  Anyone having a 'few unpermitted casts' on the main Hamanavay waters is going to know that they are basically poaching on an extensively managed and expensive migratory systems that the Estate relies on to make money from. That feels quite different to me to some remote mainland hill loch with a standard head of brownies only that the estate has no interest in and probably haven't been near in years, but which they won't sell permits for.  There's even less justification for the Hamanavay poaching too given the tradition out your way that access is free to non-migratory waters (as long as it's not interfering with landowner's business). Lots of trout waters there (including on Uig and Hamanavay) where you can fish for free either at will or after a quick check with the estate.       

Wildfisher

Quote from: GallowayBlueline on July 13, 2022, 02:41:44 PM
and even less chance that the Polis would be interested, sadly.
That depends. If you simply report a burglary chances are you will get no response.

However if you tell the police the burglar miss gendered you a rainbow coloured squad car and a policemen in a bumblebee outfit will be at your door in minutes.   ;D

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Laxdale

Quote from: Crawhin on July 13, 2022, 03:00:25 PM
But that's surely a different thing Laxdale?  Anyone having a 'few unpermitted casts' on the main Hamanavay waters is going to know that they are basically poaching on an extensively managed and expensive migratory systems that the Estate relies on to make money from. That feels quite different to me to some remote mainland hill loch with a standard head of brownies only that the estate has no interest in and probably haven't been near in years, but which they won't sell permits for.  There's even less justification for the Hamanavay poaching too given the tradition out your way that access is free to non-migratory waters (as long as it's not interfering with landowner's business). Lots of trout waters there (including on Uig and Hamanavay) where you can fish for free either at will or after a quick check with the estate.     
The law is the law. I am paid to police it.
Estates re now beyond pissed off with the number of locals and visitors that think they can rock up and fish where they please. Encouraged by a "loose" interpretation of the SOAC by accommodation and holiday providers, tackle shop proprietors, etc. Ultimately, this can only lead to an erosion of what has been a good thing for all anglers.

Laxdale

Quote from: admin on July 13, 2022, 03:20:45 PM
That depends. If you simply report a burglary chances are you will get no response.

However if you tell the police the burglar miss gendered you a rainbow coloured squad car and a policemen in a bumblebee outfit will be at your door in minutes.   ;D

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Yu would be amazed at,
1) How closely we work with the local police now.
2) How many hours that either I have been touring in a cop car in the last couple of months, or how often they have been in my motor.

They are even less inclined to take a loose interpretation of the law than I am.

This happened and is getting more common-
Me (guiding two paying punters), "You cannot fish here. Get back in your car and go elsewhere (but deffo not running water)"
Thick @rsehole. "The guy in the tackle shop said I can fish where I want (citing SOAC)"

Guy stops opposite us and unhitches fly.

Me. "This is a warrant card and if I have to go round there to stop you fishing you will be tackleless, carless and arrested"
Now Disgruntled Thick @rsehole. "You are a ******** *******", said he as he buggered off.
We came on him poaching a community owned salmon river the same evening........ He was driving a new Audi beamer.
Just buy your tickets, seek out your permissions, or feck off is my advice to visitors now.
But do as you wish, just dont whinge if it ends badly.

Go To Front Page