News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A Bit Of Rain

Started by Wildfisher, July 15, 2022, 12:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

First rain for ages this morning. Not enough to make a difference though. River levels over here are dire and the local tattie barons are sucking out most of what is left with water spouts everywhere.  I guess we have to grow crops and  eat though!

scoobyscott

Same here Fred, heard a car drive through a puddle as I was getting out of bed. My excitement wasshort lived when I looked out the window and it was just drizzle that stopped half an hour later 🙃

Wildfisher

I have not fished the river since the start of June. I don't think anyone is. I'm scared to look at it.

Guest_8

I had read of an east/west divide on another forum in terms or river levels, but here in the SW Scotland the rivers are on their arses as well. I went out at 0530 on tuesday morning, for a couple of hours before work, it was as much casting practice as anything else. Rose a fish on my first cast and missed it, rose nothing after that. Still, nice to be on the river.

Think I'll maybe hit a hill loch on saturday instead.

Wildfisher

I just took The Dug down to the river for a stroll. It is depressingly low, possibly the lowest I have ever seen it, yet the pumps are running 24/7  and the water spouts flying onto the tattie fields. We have also just have a few of the most serious downpours I've seen for a long while, never going to be enough though.

east wind

My fishing season over the last three or four years has compressed to around ten good weeks, April to mid June. Even then April can patchy with the cold temperatures and winds.

Rivers just get too low in the summer.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

Last year our season was saved by a HUGE spate  in late May which kept the river up well into July. This year though it is dire. I like to have a day or two at the trout on the upper North Esk, but have not bothered this year it's so low.

east wind

Five years ago I treated myself to ten days fishing in Norway. Solo trip I had it all well organised. Hire car, log cabin, permits booked for top rivers in advance, guide booked for two half days. Best fortnight for hatches and big trout rising. I drove around three and a half hours north from Oslo.

Turns out the were having their biggest drought for 70 years  ;D ;D
Farmers were pumping water out the rivers already on their bones for the grass feed. Guide said he was seeing areas of river bed for the first time and the trout were in shock having never experienced this. The snow melt always kept the rivers at a good height and temperature but this year it was gone by May.
Lucky white heather.

Laxdale

Quote from: east wind on July 15, 2022, 06:37:12 PM
Five years ago I treated myself to ten days fishing in Norway. Solo trip I had it all well organised. Hire car, log cabin, permits booked for top rivers in advance, guide booked for two half days. Best fortnight for hatches and big trout rising. I drove around three and a half hours north from Oslo.

Turns out the were having their biggest drought for 70 years  ;D ;D
Farmers were pumping water out the rivers already on their bones for the grass feed. Guide said he was seeing areas of river bed for the first time and the trout were in shock having never experienced this. The snow melt always kept the rivers at a good height and temperature but this year it was gone by May.
Lucky white heather.
Have a study of this website. Plenty trout fishing in Norway!
https://www.inatur.no/sok/innlandsfisketilbud?f=%5B%7B%22felt%22%3A%22type%22%2C%22sokeord%22%3A%22innlandsfisketilbud%22%7D%5D&ledig=false&p=1

east wind

Go To Front Page