News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Self Catering in Galway

Started by np01, February 03, 2008, 11:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

np01

The "negotiations" for this year's fishing trips with SWMBO started in earnest some weeks ago. Imagine my surprise when I came home from work this week and I'm told she fancies going to Galway for a fortnight in mid-July. Clearly I recognised that if I cartwheeled across the living room floor she might twig and the venue would be immediately switched, so I cooly said I'd heard Galway was meant to have some nice beaches etc but that I didn't know much else about it! Clearly I need to act quickly and get some accom booked so that this year's family holiday venue doesn't change on another whim. So does anyone have any suggestions/experiences/contacts. There's going to be three families going which totals 6 adults and 6 kids and two dogs. Not bothered if it's one large house or three neighbouring properties - any thoughts or help would be gratefully received.

doogs

Is that near Dumfries and Galway :sorry2

Malcolm

Last time I was in Galway, I think 5 years ago, I used this cottage.http://www.irishtourist.com/details/tonwee_lodge.shtml Oughterard was a great place for a holiday and it was easy to hire boats about a mile from the cottage. Oughterard is good because not only is it close to Corrib but is a gateway to Connemara with it's wild fishing ill kempt roads with no passing places that you won't believe (the road from Lochinver to Stoer is like a major highway by comparison). Galway town centre for those who like such things is very picturesque. The midges BTW can be awful!

I had some success from the bank on Corrib in the evenings too - you don't need to have a boat but the boat is better.

Malcolm

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

np01

Magic darts! Thanks to all! Right now off to go and find a supply of Picric feathers and a copy of A Man May Fish....

Regards

Nick

fisherman

I stayed in clifden two years ago. The beach at dogs bay near Roundstone is beautiful.

Graeme

You should try Spiddal Holiday homes, funnily enough in Spiddal!!  It's about 12 miles west of Galway and has lovely beaches and a fair number of wee Lochs up in the hills behind it (and those wee auldie Irish pubs).  Handy for sneaking off in the evenings when the sprogs are in bed.

http://www.spiddalhh.com/

drumgerry

There's nowhere more beautiful IMHO than Galway.  And I include my own country in that.  Mind you I've only been the once for a fortnight!  Stayed in a place called Renvyle (Lettergesh East nr Tullycross) and it was just fantastic.  The seafishing's not to be sniffed at there as well as the game fishing.  Galway City is a blast as well.

Cheers

Gerry

almac

I'd have to recommend Oughterard as well. The place is positively jumping with anglers during mayfly time and the kids hang about the street corners selling mayflies from little wooden boxes to passing anglers every morning.
And yes, I've driven on better peat and forestry roads than some of the Tarmac roads around that part of the world.
Lough Mask is worth a chuck - but book a boatman though. Hidden underwater limestone reefs everywhere. The bleached and holed carcasses of many wooden boats washed up on the lough's shores still haunts me.
But what a place. Anglers' mecca.

Go To Front Page