News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sunglasses

Started by Malcolm, March 14, 2008, 09:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Anyone know why sunglasses vary in price so much.

In the past I've bought last year's model Bolle polaroids ?99 reduced to ?39 or some such and found them no better than the ?20 shimanos which I prefer. Looking at the John Norris flyer today I notice Costa Del Mar at ?135 and below them identical looking glasses by flying fisherman for ?26. Does anyone know why there is such wide disparity?

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

I suspect much of it is snobbery Malcolm.

One day in New Zealand ( where the ability to spot fish is paramount) I took glasses from Specsavers, Action Optics, Airflo (or other cheapos) and Optix to a stretch of river. Visibility was excellent and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I tried the lot and could find no obvious difference between the cheapest and the most expensive.

I then ran them all past my Kiwi mate (an experienced man who has guided professionally for John Goddard and Mel Krieger). He reckoned they were all "a bit sparkly" in comparison to his Serengeti Stratas, but OK. I tried his glasses and found no difference to be honest, but he is far better at spotting fish than I am, so I will concede that he knows a bit more about glasses than I.

For the likes of us in Scotland, where spotting is a minor part of our fishing, I don't see any point in paying a lot of money.

Alex
Protect the edge.

superscot

Have a set of Ray ban sunglasses had them for years ...won them years ago after I bought a new car and entered their monthly magazine competition ......  only bloody thing I have ever won in my life ! Good glasses and have never let me down

Cheers

The General

I am very cynical when it comes to sun glasses prices.  Last year bought some Abu ones going for 9.99 in Grahams.
Complete eye cover with wee side bits and fully polaroid.  Bought brown and yellow and that covered everything the
Scottish weather threw at us last year.   I bought a wee pair of magnifying glasses from Sportfish that go over the
glasses when you need to do fiddly things with old eyes.  More than happy with all of them.
Fancied a gallows tool to tackle some klinks etc.   Dyna King ?29.99   jeez its only a bent bit of metal with a spring and
locking mechanism.    Daughter went into Grahams yesterday and managed to negotiate a Veniard Gallows Tool
down from ?5.25 to ?4.75 (what a gal).   In the pack is instructions to tie a hackle on with a loop made in the
hackle itself.    I tried that and it seems to work very well.  So why the price difference.  Is it that some of us
are just mugs.   It was exactly the same when I had a boat.   Put "Marine" in front of anything and you automatically
add ?50 to its price.      I must be getting this grumpy old man syndrome,  need to get out fishing more.

Davie

Go To Front Page