News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Filling pits in cork handles

Started by Rabmax, October 30, 2014, 01:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabmax

Hello All.I have a few rods that i want to fix up the cork handles during the winter.As far as i can tell it's best to mix sanded cork from wine corks with PVA glue for filling the holes.I was thinking about buying this as it might make it easier & will have a life time supply.
http://www.englandangling.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?prodCode=RM_CDS
( Ultra Fine Stuff)
I am thinking that if it's not a fine enough cork dust my coffee grinder might make it finer if needed.What does the experienced cork restoring people think buy the dust or make my own.Also thinking about sealing the cork handles once restored.What do you use for this.I have filled small holes over the years before with wood filler.It doesn't seem to last long before it's all fallen out again with wood filler.Cheers All

nacnud

For bigger splits and holes etc I have cut them out with a craft knife then glued in a slip of cork, cut from say a wine cork, using super glue, "Zap a Gap" or Angling glue is best as it is more water resistant than ordinary super glue. Then simply sand down using fine sand paper then finish of with fine wet & dry.

Go To Front Page