News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Streaking Caddis sbs

Started by scotfly, April 08, 2013, 11:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

It's been a while since I last did a sbs so apologies if it's a bit ropey.

This is a pattern I saw many moons ago and always liked. But I could never get it quite right until I found out the simple trick to finish it off.... Burn the bugger!

A frequently asked question by beginners is "what's the best thread to use for spinning deer hair?" Almost always someone pops up and says anything but GSP. Anyone who says this is of course wrong. GSP is the best thread to use to spin hair with, but don't just take my word for it, go see Chris Helm and ask him. What he doesn't know about deer hair and how to use it isn't worth knowing.  When most people think of GSP they think of Roman Moser Power Silk (55 denier), which is an excellent GSP thread, but too thin for most deer hair applications. But just like other threads GSP comes in different deniers. The higher the denier the thicker the thread.  GSP comes in deniers ranging from 50 to 200 denier. For most trout sized applications around 100 denier will suffice.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

The Streaking Caddis (Grannom Variation)

HOOK - Drennan Sedge #16
THREAD - Gudebrod GX2 GSP (130 denier)
ABDOMEN TIP - Caddis Green SLF
ABDOMEN - Dark Squirrel
WING - Deer Hair
HEAD - Spun Deer Hair.

STEP 1
Mount the hook in the vice, attach the thread and wrap down round the bend.

STEP 2
Apply a pinch of dubbing and wrap.

STEP 3

Apply the squirrel dubbing and wrap to form the body.

STEP 4
Clean, stack and measure a bunch of deer hair then tie on to form the wing allowing the butts only to flair.

STEP 5
Add another bunch deer hair and spin. (Depending on the size of fly you may have to add more spun hair)

STEP 6
Whipfinish  and detach the thread  and begin trimming the head to shape by making a flat cut to the underside.

Then trim the topside so that it tapers into the wing.

STEP 7
Let the fun begin! Holding the fly as shown above, carefully singe the hairs with a lighter flame (It's a good idea not to burn yourself at this stage!)
You should be left with something resembling this.

STEP 8
Finally to finish the fly off, give the singed head a brush to leave it looking pristine. I use an old toothbrush for this operation.
And voila (providing you haven't set the fly on fire)

Wildfisher

It's a really nice looking fly.  :D

bibio1

I agree great lookin flee  for river and loch

Cheers

Paul

Guddler

Thanks for putting this up. I had been looking at this in the WHYTT? thread and wondering if I could tackle it - no excuses now!

goggs

Nice flee,have to give that a go.....Cheers

scoobyscott

Go To Front Page