News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Spey casting dvds wanted

Started by shad, November 07, 2015, 12:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad

Its a long shot but if anyone has any Spey casting instruction dvds gathering dust I would be interested.Even to borrow for a watch and return with some flies or whatever as payment.

After my trip to Canada Ive decided to try to learn , never had the need at home as I cant afford to Salmon fish here.Rod arrived this week so going to practice through the winter,venue will mainly be the outflow at Torness power station!

Lochan_load

I started Spey casting last year at the back end, I watched a few DVDs and some stuff on youtube, gave me some of the terminology and the basic idea but I didn't find them that useful other than that, I was lucky enough that the first couple of times I went out my uncle was there to talk me through it and give me pointers.......it was a good bit trickier than I was expecting  :shock: long story short I would recommend if you know someone who can Spey cast that you ask for a bit of tuition, definately helps having someone pick out your faults in real time. I've had a few days out myself this year and starting to get somewhere with it although I'm still capable of casting an absolute heap! Good luck with it

superscot

A few dvd's on sale but not cheap

[attachimg=1]

speydulika

If you want to learn to Spey cast then please take some professional tuition. A qualified instructor should be able to explain the various steps required to put a cast together. He or she should then watch you making casts at some length before offering you a critique of where you need to make adjustments.  There seems to be a popular train of thought that Spey casting tuition is easy. It is not easy to teach properly and takes a lot of time and a hell  of a lot of practice to become an instructor. It is highly unlikely that you will learn to cast from watching dvd's

haresear

I agree with Geoff that an instructor is the best way to get you on the right track.

Videos are good for helping to instill the principles of casting, but are no substitute for a good instructor.

Eoin Fairgieve is not a million miles from you and helped me with my casting about 15 years ago. It was he who taught me the snake roll, which I found to be a very useful cast, as is the circle or C cast. I use these a lot when trout fishing.

I thought he was very good. 

Alex
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

In your own Neck of the woods you have Davy Bell who has a great reputation for teaching the spey casts.

He can be contacted via the Glasgow Angling Centre. His profile on their website is below..................

"I am a fully qualified salmon casting instructor and run the very successful Loch Lomond Angling School. I am a holder of the STANIC (Salmon and Trout Anglers National Instructors Certificate), SGAIC (Scottish Game Anglers Instructors Certificate) and the prestigious AAPGAI (Association of Advanced Professional Game Angling Instructor) certificates and I am currently Director of Coaching for the Scottish Anglers National Association (SANA) and Resident consultant to the Glasgow Angling Centre."

I believe he can do lessons on the Leven.

Teither

Duns is a very long way from Shad, RR. Are you confusing Duns with Dunbartonshire ? I know Davie Bell well and he is a good instructor but too far away, I'd say. Eoin F is also a top rank man for the job and a lot less travel involved.
DVDs can be a help - and a big help too -  but it's true that one to- one time with a good teacher is a worthwhile investment.

Shad,
         If you want to view a couple of DVDs [ and I have far too many for anyone's good  :)] drop me a pm and I'll arrange something to suit you.

T

rannoch raider

Woops ! For some reason I was thinking of Lochan L  who is close to the Leven . Yes. you are correct, probably not handy ! my mistake.

corsican dave

Quote from: shad on November 07, 2015, 12:48:57 PM
After my trip to Canada Ive decided to try to learn , never had the need at home as I cant afford to Salmon fish here.Rod arrived this week so going to practice through the winter,venue will mainly be the outflow at Torness power station!
hmm, these are strange times and strange forces are at work. next thing you know i'll be jumping into a float-tube  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

shad

Thanks for all the input chaps.

Funny I had thought lessons from the likes of Eoin Fairgrieve would be silly money hence the DIY route.In fact I hadnt even looked at his site, £40 per hour I can justify and will put a lesson on my xmas list.

Dont really to learn lots of fancy stuff ,if I can whack a floating line with T14 tip 120ft easily I will be happy.

Go To Front Page