News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New Book

Started by scotfly, November 20, 2012, 12:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules here...

An unashamed plug.... Well I did write one of the chapters, but don't worry  the rest are very good.  :o

Available to buy around the middle of December from....

http://www.salisburydistrictac.co.uk/

An on-line shop will be up and running soon.

Ripple

Love the look of the book, clean lines ,will stand out in any fishing section of a book shop. Well done ..

Wildfisher

good stuff Dennis and well done to you  :D

Malcolm

Hope it does well. I've got a soft spot for chalkstreams, I just wish they weren't so heavily stocked (and fished) for the most part. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotfly

Thanks for the comments folks.

Quote from: BARFLY on November 20, 2012, 07:32:03 PM
It must be a really good feeling having something published, well done.

It is, but I can't say that I enjoyed the writing experience. Mind I'm not used to coherent sentences.  :?

Quote from: Malcolm on November 20, 2012, 11:07:37 PM
Hope it does well. I've got a soft spot for chalkstreams, I just wish they weren't so heavily stocked (and fished) for the most part.

You and me both Malcolm.
But, there is a strong trend towards less (or no) stocking and better habitat management at the moment. And you'll be surprised at how lightly fished most of the chalkstreams are, particularly later in the season.
Interestingly the one chalkstream that isn't moving away from the heavy stocking policy is the Test. But since it is virtually an entomological desert they don't have a choice now!

Wildfisher

That book is top of my buying list Dennis. I have never fished a chalk stream  but have fished a few spring creeks in NZ which are much the same thing.

imo  this is the most difficult, demanding, visual and enjoyable fly fishing there is. Often a huge amount of effort for precious few fish, blanks are common, but nothing else comes even close.

Malcolm

Fred,

I agree with you about the pleasure but maybe because I spent so much time on the chalkstreams (I was young, single and could fish whenever I wanted, a member of a club, a syndicate and had acccess to .75 of a mile of private stream) I have to say that chalkstream fishing isn't as tricky as on some of our better rivers up here. My abiding memory of the chalkstreams will always be the amazing grayling fishing rather than trout. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

As I said Malcolm I have never fished a chalk stream, but I have in my mind a picture of creek 61 in New Zealand. Wild browns averaging over 3lb,  suspended in invisible water with waving weed beds. Fish    that are so spooky they seem to know  you are there as soon as you park the car. It is hypnotizing fishing that just not exist here.  If you are very lucky and very careful with your approach you get one cast.  :lol:  Wonderful stuff. It won't be this year, but  I really do have to get back there!

scotfly

Quote from: Malcolm on November 21, 2012, 10:32:13 AMI have to say that chalkstream fishing isn't as tricky as on some of our better rivers up here.

Quite the opposite. It's all too easy. Though some of the smaller chalkstreams provide a fair challenge.

Fred creek 61 sounds awesome. The chalkstreams are nothing like that. They are enjoyable, but I don't think they're in the same league as NZ spring creeks.
That said, if you want a shot at some chalkstream fishing.. Get down here and give me a shout.

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotfly on November 22, 2012, 12:46:33 AM
That said, if you want a shot at some chalkstream fishing.. Get down here and give me a shout.
I really do fancy that sometime Dennis, thank you for the offer.  :D

Go To Front Page