News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

fishing mags

Started by bibio1, August 20, 2013, 08:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

Flicked the usual fishing mags. I have not read any for about 2 years. I used to be addicted to them. Anyway what struck me was that's proctor wrecked a tributary of the annan. Well he had a good go at the main river. A loch in Glen Lyon fecked. Usual bullshit about only needing 5 flies.

Oh and Andy won't be entirely happy.

I don't think they really do a lot of thinking on these mags.

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on August 20, 2013, 08:51:27 PM
I don't think they really do a lot of thinking on these mags.

They are not about fishing. They are about making money.

bibio1

Oh and we have an angling superstar in our midst. Who doesnt look a day older than 57. Well done Mr doig.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Barfly on August 20, 2013, 08:58:06 PM
Aye, the comics ain`t funny. :roll:

Last year I swore I would never buy FF&FT again and I won't. I tend to buy T&S when climbing up the walls with boredom in some airport or other, but always end up wondering why I bothered. It's still well ahead of a pretty slow pack though.

I don't believe the writers make much money from these articles. One ex member of this forum whose account was deleted and posts removed told me during one of his interminable phone calls  he got about £80, but his articles were pretty tedious and perhaps more skillful, wordsmiths like Stan who use fewer brackets are better paid.

Books are the way to go, it's a no brainier both in terms of quality of copy and value for money and if they are crap they can  be used as weights when making gravlax. Try doing that with a magazine.

Billy

Quote from: bibio1 on August 20, 2013, 09:06:22 PM
Oh and we have an angling superstar in our midst. Who doesnt look a day older than 57. Well done Mr doig.

I seem to remember he wasn't a day over 57 this time last year.

Billy

Wildfisher

Quote from: Billy on August 21, 2013, 11:54:38 AM
I seem to remember he wasn't a day over 57 this time last year.

He mentioned it so often it would be difficult to forget.

Bloody young whippersnappers  :lol:

shad

Not bought one for over 15 years, flick through them in the shops now and again proctor seems to be in them all.

Chap I know did some writing for one ,cant recall which now,he  was told by the editor that that articles "filled the gaps between the adverts" which says it all really.

Colin

superscot

Stopped  buying them years ago.

Wildfisher

It's actually amazing how many electronic books and magazines  you can get for free. You do need a tablet though unless you enjoy reading from a screen at a desk. For me though, good old hard copy books are still the absolute best thing by a mile. No ads, no computer, no batteries, open anywhere, anytime and read.   Very collectable too, unlike mags which are bin material after a week or two.  Mags? can't see me ever buying another.

Fishtales

The thing I like about the electronic side is that I can carry hundreds of books at a time with me and read what I like when I like without the weight. I still have and like hard copies though. With magazines I have the Apps on Marion's iPad and if there happens to be an article that takes my fancy I buy that copy, cheaper too. I don't have any angling mags though as I feel that they repeat too much year after year but that is for new readers and I think long term ones just stop buying after a while.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page