News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Free Mags

Started by superscot, September 25, 2013, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superscot

More of an International Magazine for those  who can wander the planet fishing but its free and you might find the odd item of interest

http://gafflife.com/about/p/digital.aspx

Wildfisher

scotgillespie

I don't remember any fishing trip I was on looking anything like that - what am I doing wrong?

corsican dave

the cover's a bit "sports illustrated" meets "women in waders" (nothing wrong with that! :lol:) bur it's actually quite a good read. and being free it beats ff&ft or t&s for nearly a fiver.....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

This is the way forward for mags.

Free to the reader is fine but MUST have a revenue stream  to keep it alive after the novelty period passes, which it will do,   and everyone involved has to get a slice of the cake.

Eventually the "work for no reward model" will ensure the editors and the writers get fed up with it.  There have been a number of examples if this, including Fish Wild. I was overwhelmed by the workload and having to earn a living at the same time. Once the novelty wore off I switched to the  occasional model.

There are one or two out there that claim "not for profit", while connecting it, often even  in look and feel,  to other aspects  of fishing they do make money from. IMO this is disingenuous because it's really just  a device to drive traffic towards  their paid services and only works because the writers do not charge for their copy.  Fish Wild never did anything like that and was always  squeaky clean and ethical.

And it's very important  to grasp that if the writers don't get paid they will  get pissed off writing for an online  mag. that is  full of paid ads. Ego does not pay the bills.

Go To Front Page