News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Somewhere down the Crazy River

Started by tomsampson, March 16, 2014, 11:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomsampson

I have always wanted to read 'Somewhere down the Crazy River' by Jeremy Wade. Copies seem to be like hens teeth. Every time I come on a second hand copy on EBay or Amazon they seem to sell for well north of £100. Anybody out there read it and is it that good?

alancrob

You could always go to the library!

http://main-cat.nls.uk/vwebv/holdingsInfo?searchId=298&recCount=25&recPointer=0&bibId=2217535

You would have to sit in and read though. I don't think it is for lending.

A.

tomsampson

Somewhere Ive got an old National library membership card. If its still valid I might just do that. Its quite a short book. I will bring back memories of many happy hours spent in NL reading room, mainly asleep and probably  nursing a hangover, pretending to be writing my dissertation.

corsican dave

hi Tom, only just read this, so sorry for the late reply. i managed to get a brand new copy from paul boote a few years ago. i paid a princely sum for it, but it was no more than some copies are going for second hand. i was over the moon with it at the time, but to be honest i thought it was an over-rated read. i can't really put my finger on the reason "why?", it just didn't grab me for some reason. this in no way detracts from paul boote, who was a perfect gent and one really has to admire the spirit of exploration which took him out to india and the congo.

unless you're a collector of angling writing, i would suggest you try and obtain a cheap second hand copy or visit a library, before you pay serious money for a nice copy. as you say, they're rare as hens teeth.

btw you have to feel a little sorry for paul boote who's become the forgotten man of exploratory specimen hunting. although he probably doesn't care. i know the term "extreme angler" really winds him up. jeremy wade has certainly made the most of his opportunity! "river monsters" is a far, far better read than the rather lurid tv show would suggest
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page