News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How to fish by Chris Yates

Started by brian, January 13, 2007, 05:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

A cracking read, mainly about fishing for big perch from his local river, the authors brilliantly descriptive writing skills take you to the river bank with him, this isn't a how to kind of book in a tactical sense, rather a book on how fishing should be enjoyed.Even if are like me, and are never likely to be fishing on such a river, full of various course fish, I would recommend it.

haresear

That sounds just my cup of Dark Island Brian :lol:

I'll be checking it out. Chris Yates is my kind of angler, he is not into gimmicks and only uses tactics and fishes places he enjoys, rather than chasing the latest named big carp/barbel.

Alex
Protect the edge.

rabbitangler

If its as good as the deepening pool or the stuff in waterlog it should be worth the read. 'A Passion for Angling' is still one of the best fishing programmes ever IMHO.

haresear

Quote3 pound plus perch sound brilliant though

It's not the quietest spot in the world, but early morning in Balmaha boatyard in June could get you your 3 pounder. I had a 3lb 2oz a few years ago from Lomond and there were lots of 2 pounders at that time. Perch fishing goes in cycles though, so I don't know if it is still as productive.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

It was a pipe Brian and was the outflow from a pond.
In the same place, we used to use keepnets and after catching a few perch, you could look into the water and see perch with their noses up against the outside of the net looking at their mates inside. After noticing this, I made a point of always dropping the float just the other side of my net once I had caught a few fish and had quite a few bonus fish as a result.
Another time, I had a keepnet over the side of a boat on Lomond and noticed loads of wee perch looking in at their cousins. I lifted the net out to find I had gill-netted loads of the wee perch. That was the pike bait problem solved :lol:. 

alex
Protect the edge.

Harpo

Aye it's a great read, I've jut finished it. Written in a really nice style and as Brian said a book about how fishing should be enjoyed, probably the best written explanation I've seen of why we go fishing.

My favourite quote "The river had a certain magic to it is as if a spell had ben cast on it and not just my float"...well it went something like that !

paulr

The book/record shop Fopp has the book for ?10 at the moment
cheers
Paul

burnie

Not read this book , but do have lots of his work.
Just after the Passion series I went to the Chatsworth angling fair near Derby,both bob james and Chris were there.james thought he was a super star and ignored everyone,Chris was one of the nicest chaps you could ever wish to meet,he chatted for ages.What astounded me was when I met him a year later he asked how I'd got on and remembered the rivers I'd been fishing,he even invited me to join him for a day on the Hampshire Avon after Barbel,I fear not going could have been one of the biggest mistakes of my angling life.

haresear

Quotebob james and Chris were there.james thought he was a super star and ignored everyone

Someone else told me that recently. Can't remember who.

Alex
Protect the edge.

burnie

Great link Brian , thanks for that.

Go To Front Page