News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Best book for river fishing

Started by shanksi, April 15, 2007, 05:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanksi

Josh and I are going to be fishing the Mid Clyde this season and have not really fished rivers before.  Am looking for suggestions for books with instruction and guidance on how to fish rivers as we need all the help we can get. :D

shanksi

haresear

QuoteAlso worth a look at is, Clyde Style Flies by John Reid

It's a fine book as far as fly dressings go Davy, but there isn't much else in it in my opinion.  :D

Trout Hunting is a good all round book, as far as I remember. Harelug has mine.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Ian, the best (fastest) way to learn any new technique or style of  fishing is – yes by all means buy a book (buy Bob's Trout Hunting) – but try to get out with an experienced angler who is prepared to spend the time with you. This is not easy of course as at the time of year you are most likely to catch the teacher will be wanting to fish himself.  There is a hell of a lot more to river fishing than fishing on lochs or other still waters. It takes years to become even slightly proficient so don't give up. Try and try again. Keep going until you crack it. Ask questions  on the forum. There is a hell of a  lot of experience here and I do it all the time being pretty a  mediocre river angler  myself!  Read, ask, observe and learn. The main tips I would give are :

Across and down wet fly is shite except for catching bandies or new stockies– you will get  fish but you will fail to hook most offers as you are pulling the flies away  from the fish. Big fish are easily spooked  when lined, especially from above. Remember they face upstream.   Upstream work is not as relaxing as downstream and is tricky but it catches most fish – wet or dry.

Tread quietly, stay  as low down as possible – wade with extreme stealth and fish as short a line  as you can – that gives you far more control and lets you control drag far more easily when fishing dries. Take a look at Paul Arden's superb casting stuff on Sexy Loops and you will learn a lot about avoiding drag. / mending etc  No book can really show you that.

Wildfisher

Ian – don’t want to drift away from the main thrust of the thread too much but  this is related. Are you still using your Bloke XL 50?  I am now using a 9 foot XL50 #6  with  A snowbee xs WF floater for just about all my river fishing (on bigger waters anyway). It is a truly superb rod. Light as a feather, fast,  stiff and powerful. Always in control with this rod, with that line it loads brilliantly even at short distance (a problem I have always had up to now). I would recommend Mick Bell's rods to anyone  for this kind of fishing

haresear

The Lanarkshire Avon would be a good choice to start on Ian. Lots of fish and it is not as hard as the Clyde.
You can get a bus to Strathaven from Burnside or Ru'glen or a bus or train to Hamilton.

There is the Cart too around Busby, Waterfoot.

Alex
Protect the edge.

shanksi

Thanks guys for the advice.  The main reason for trying the  Mid Clyde is that it's only 15/20 minutes from our house and Josh usually manages to last for about 3 or 4 hours then has had enough so don't want to be too far away from home or he might get put off fishing altogether.  Will have a look for the Bob Wyatt book.  Also have a friend who has most of the Oliver Edwards dvd's so will get copies.
Fred - We're both still using the Bloke  XL50 rods and have the same size as you and find it so easy to use .  Have also got a 5# which Mick sent for the Cygnets but it broke and he didn't want it back.  Got it repaired in Cafaros but haven't used it yet.  The only thing is the colour is a brighter red than our originals which were the maroon colour.  I know Haresear had a look at one but didn't fancy the colour.  Still can't complain as only cost me the repair price. :lol:

shanksi

Go To Front Page