News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Baked Beans (not the Heinz kind)

Started by Alastair, December 10, 2011, 12:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alastair

This has become a favourite in my family.

I got this recipe from my ex-wife's Grandma. She'd had the recipe for a long time and had made changes to it. I made changes to it as well, so its evolved over time. Here's it's latest incarnation.

1 lb bacon
2 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
6 - 19 oz tins of beans (drained)
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup of BBQ sauce
1 tbsp molasses
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard (leave out if you like)
1/2 cup brown sugar

Cut bacon into small pieces, add ground beef and chopped onion and brown in a large pot. Drain off some of the fat (I take out about half).
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes stirring frequently. Add some water if it gets too thick (I usually have to).

I like to use a variety of beans, but black beans and fava beans usually feature prominantly. Navy (baked) beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans also go well in the recipe.  If you like a bit of zing, add some of your favourite hot sauce - I like Tabasco Sauce.

This freezes really well.

zeolite

Alasdair

We can't get the Heinz type beans here in Wyoming and boy do we miss them. You don't have a recipe for a similar flavour do you there are loads of off the shelf BBQ flavours.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Traditionalist

This is a similar flavour;

250 g pinto beans or 250 g haricot beans
    200 g unsmoked back bacon (tastes better with) (optional)
    1 small onion , finely chopped
    1 garlic clove , crushed
    2 tablespoons black treacle
    800 g chopped tomatoes
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    parsley , chopped

Directions:

1. Soak the beans in cold water for 8 hours or overnight. Then cook according to pack instructions (I leave the lid off the pan, and add a tsp of baking soda to combat the gas producing side effects of beans. It works very well). Remember to boil well for 10 minutes before simmering, or you may get a tummy upset!
    2. Heat a large pan and add the bacon if using (if not using, make sure you use something else to lift the beans - more salt, a bit of chili, worcester sauce or whatever. These can also be added to the bacon version for still more flavour). Fry for 1 minute.
    3. Add the onion, celery (I use celery salt) and garlic, and continue to fry for 4-5 minutes until the bacon is cooked and the onion has started to soften.
    4. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, black treacle and tomato puree. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the cooked beans. Return to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes (or put into crockpot on low to be ready and waiting later).
    5. Stir in the chopped parsley then spoon over toast, into jacket potato, or whatever.
    6. Freezes well.

TL
MC

Alastair

Quote from: zeolite on December 10, 2011, 02:50:30 AM
Alasdair

We can't get the Heinz type beans here in Wyoming and boy do we miss them. You don't have a recipe for a similar flavour do you there are loads of off the shelf BBQ flavours.

If you're doing any work up near the Canadian border, nip across and head to the nearest grocery store.  We've got Heinz here.  I was down in Oregon this past summer and was looking for Heinz beans and couldn't find any.  The shelves were full of "Bush Beans", which are not as good.

Go To Front Page