News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Members' Board / Re: Who has not been fishing s...
Last post by Fishtales - Today at 09:32:39 AM
You guys have no resilience, get out there and don't stop until you can't. Fred, you are fitter than me for getting into the hills and get a cheap pair of reading glasses from the pound shop for tying flies or a magnifier light :)

Last year it took me five hours to walk in carrying the rucksack, 3 miles that normally took 2 hours. This year I had a test walk again five hours for 3 miles that normally takes two hours. I have just finished editing the video and got it down to an hour in length, I may post it for viewing but not many people will stay the course and watch it all :)
Open Board / Re: Trade inyour fleece for a ...
Last post by Fishtales - Today at 09:23:16 AM
Are there warning notices up? If not it could be a police matter.
Last post by Scozzie - Yesterday at 10:28:01 PM
Been out half a dozen times on local club water mixed results only one blank so far heading to thurso in morning for a week hoping for good things
Last post by east wind - Yesterday at 10:09:44 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on Yesterday at 09:49:36 PMMe too, except for the golf.  ;D

My close up eyesight is gubbed, tying on a fly is a nightmare and I've quit fly tying. My long range sight is fine, reading the number plate for driving etc.

There comes a point when it's not worth the hassle any more - my fishing days are ending I fear!  :( 

Got a lads golfing break in Portugal in a couple of weeks that's drawing my attention at the moment.
Still I'll give the fishing another go next week. Looking back I would expect a tough March then in April at least a few decent days with the dark olives and March browns with May providing sport over 12 hours.
Now April can be as dire as March and this year May has been patchy at best.
Tying on a flee can also be a chore for me as well, party due to me covering the hook eye with fluff and party due to fumbling fingers. I'm becoming more reliant on hanging a hook threader off the waistcoat.The C&F spares, expensive but the wire on anything else is not up to the job. The C&F work a treat.
Last post by Wildfisher - Yesterday at 09:49:36 PM
Quote from: east wind on Yesterday at 09:19:44 PMMore worrying is how doddery I'm becoming. Can still do the miles but the stumbling over tussocks & fences and bankside is comical. Also casting is pretty shabby at the moment, constant knots on the leader, putting fish down or not even reaching them.
At the moment I'm veering towards my golf.
Me too, except for the golf.  ;D

My close up eyesight is gubbed, tying on a fly is a nightmare and I've quit fly tying. My long range sight is fine, reading the number plate for driving etc.

There comes a point when it's not worth the hassle any more - my fishing days are ending I fear!  :( 
Last post by east wind - Yesterday at 09:19:44 PM
I've been out often enough when levels permit. Actually had a couple of decent fish off the surface in March before the clocks changed, always been a personal target.
However, the weathers no been great. Strong North Easterly with bright skies make every trout a prisoner. Hatches yes, though reduction in numbers to what should be around at in May in particular. Trout don't seem to be fully switched on apart from one day. So, plenty of blanks or one or two each visit with the odd good un. For the type of fishing I do, walking and looking for rises, the days are becoming boring. I just can't be arsed fishing any other way.
More worrying is how doddery I'm becoming. Can still do the miles but the stumbling over tussocks & fences and bankside is comical. Also casting is pretty shabby at the moment, constant knots on the leader, putting fish down or not even reaching them.
At the moment I'm veering towards my golf.

Last post by arawa - Yesterday at 06:45:49 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on May 24, 2024, 09:41:25 PMAye, tell me about it!  :D
The irony is that when I was young I used whatever tackle I could scrounge and shot up the hills in leaky wellington boots. And at 15 years old using an ancient and unwieldy greenheart rod and camping out under a plastic sheet I caught my lifetime best wild trout of 6lbs.
Now, when I have state-of-the-art outdoor clothing and pretty much the same in fishing tackle, I struggle to reach the lochs!
Last post by sagecirca - Yesterday at 02:37:54 PM
I feel fished out! I have been out around 9-10 times in the last fortnight. May is always the best of it on the rivers and this month has been relatively kind to me although my legs currently will tell you I have been putting in the long hours and miles up and down a few river systems.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Melanochromis auratus
Last post by Wildfisher - Yesterday at 01:28:38 PM
Used to keep and breed these. Remember selling a load of young fish to House Of Pisces in Dundee.

Males are bright blue and black. They are highly aggressive fish and will re-scape your tank.  ;D

I love them, some for sale  on FleaBay - I am tempted!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264524706255?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=e90001.m162179.l174999&plmtId=700008&mesgId=3017&mkcid=8&ch=osgood&bu=42985437360&trkId=7f06a434-b397-339a-a6c4-a1e50383383e&cnvId=700003&recoId=264524706255&recoPos=1
Open Board / Re: Trade inyour fleece for a ...
Last post by Bobfly - Yesterday at 12:27:45 PM
 :o  :o
Go To Front Page