News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

wanted: river fishing guru...

Started by corsican dave, April 24, 2011, 10:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

right that's it, i've had enough. life's too short to learn everything by trial and error!

i've spent any number of sessions prospecting my local rivers with some success. but therein lies the rub, "SOME". the other evening i crept up on a little streamy run, stayed well back and flicked my weighted nymph deftly into the flow at the head of the pool. i was rewarded with an almighty splash and no take. i then tried everything i could think of, with only a downstream wet rewarded by a tug or two. dry flies raced through the run in seconds, drowning immediately. as did everything else.

my casting accuracy is pretty good, but i really need someone to show me the techniques for fishing these fast runs and pools. any volunteers? i'm not a wealthy guy, but i'm getting so frustrated at my inept attempts i'm seriously considering a day with a professional guide :shock:

i'm sure there's a wealth of talent amongst the assembled brethren, so please feel free to rip the p*ss, pass on sage advice and offer your services. in return i can offer accommodation, beer and dodgy company (ask otter spotter, river chatter and claret bumble). i'm quite prepared to travel to a "neutral" venue if that suits better :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Clan Ford

Hi Dave,

I'm no guru - there are several on here who do qualify for that status, though - but if you fancy a day on the Earn round Crieff, I'll happily take you out.  I'll be able to cover some techniques and show you a few flies, no gaurentee of fish :(

Norm

Wildfisher

Would that be for rivers above or below the 300M  contour.   :lol:

Billy

Hardest thing I find , well....finding a decent river.

Billy

Wildfisher

Quote from: piscatus absentis on April 25, 2011, 08:17:45 PM
Naw, I don't think it's a guru you want.

I think you're right Bob. He's be far better forgetting the guru  and teaming up with one of those psueds you spoke about, someone like Brian or Col who are catching  all these huge troot.  :makefun

River Chatter

Quote from: Alan on April 26, 2011, 05:18:04 PMi'd say the most important skill on a river is to be invisible, thats definately Guru territory.

Foget the Guru, it's a river Ninja you want. 

corsican dave

cheers guys! i'm going to lick my wounds next week on our annual hill loch pilgrimage to scourie :lol:, then i'll be in touch to take up your offers.

i had a good evening on lochindorb last night as you'll see from another post, but i have to say the fast rivers thing is causing me to go all "henry gilbey-ish"  (:shock:)with frustration!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

flyboy

I dont/havent really fished any big fast rivers. I do however fish my local river a couple of times a week if possible and i have success with only one method....upstream dry fly fishing.  Maybe i, like you dave should try fishing different techniques and bigger rivers. I was taught how to fish rivers by an ex scottish river champion and his advice was always to fish upstream dries no matter what the river size or condition and it has worked for me, catching fish all through the season on my local burns and river { maybe I am just getting to know my home waters well}. What kind of running water are you fishing at the moment? Why not try fishing a smaller river or burn which holds lots off small trout and then move on to bigger things. This is what I am doing at present and soon hope to progress to bigger waters...although I quite enjoy catching small river broonies.

Go To Front Page