News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Water conditions

Started by Dougster, May 01, 2006, 06:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougster

Went up to my club water today (Loch Humphrey) to find it pretty windy with the water very choppy.

No rises but a few bites with nothing landed. I managed to fish a couple of banks with the wind behind me but what should I be doing to help my chances faced with differing conditions?

I only fished with one fly on the end as I'm still practising these dropper knots and was getting into terrible tangles in the wind last year.

Any advice appreciated and be kind as I'm trying my best!!!!! ;)

haresear

QuoteI managed to fish a couple of banks with the wind behind me but what should I be doing to help my chances faced with differing conditions?

Dougster,

Are you stcking with a floating line? If so, you could try a goldhead to get down a wee bit. You can control the depth better if you cast either directly upwind or directly downwind, as the line won't skate round so much, dragging the fly up to the surface. If on an intermediate though, you can cast across wind too as the line will sink beneath the worst effects of the wind. You won't need to use a goldhead on the intermediate, but if you are casting into the wind the added weight will help to straighten your cast out.

In a cold wind like we are having, I would go with the intermediate. Unless the water you are fishing is too shallow, in which case you are stuck with the floater.

I see you are trying to get the wind behind you. If this purely is for ease of casting, you could try keepng the wind on the shoulder of your non-rod hand. (wind on on your left shoulder if you are right-handed). It is safer by far and I find I get fewer tangles when casting in a wind than I do when there is no wind.
Protect the edge.

zeolite

Definately agree with haresear about the intermediate line Dougster. you can pick up a cheap Airflo on ebay or try one of the Barrios that Fred reckons are good. The line is thinner and denser so cuts through the wind better. Don't go trying to cast 30 yards as is often said the fish do come in the the margins. 10 is usually enough on wild lochs. Side and roll casts will do the job for that. Have to be creative in bad conditions and make what cast you can. It is highly recommended that you wear sun or safety glasses. Both for reflected uv and fly in the eye protection.

Will probably see you Sunday. :D
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

haresear

QuoteIt is highly recommended that you wear sun or safety glasses. Both for reflected uv and fly in the eye protection.

Couldn't agree more Z. I had a very lucky escape. I was fishing with a strong tailwind and pulled into the back cast just as a big swirly gust hit.
THe result was a size 8 muddler smack in the eye. Broke my own rule because the wind was behind me and I thought I was safe.

I went over to another guy, uncupped my hand and revealed my eye, saying "how bad is this mate?" He said simply "go to hospital" :cry: .
Shitting myself, I went back to the car, cupping my eye in my hand. Plucking up courage, I looked in the wing mirror only to see...no muddler! :)  The muddler was in my hand. What I think happened was that the hook point had lodged itself pointing downward between my eyeball and the eyelid. Very very lucky.
Protect the edge.

Dougster

Zeolite is that line you talked about intermediate?

I will pop along to Danny's Den for a new reel (or spool) for intermediate and a some leaded droppers.

I was mainly side and roll casting anyway and the fly never came anywhere near me.

Haresear......controlling the depth is a good few chapters away yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers for the advice though!!

Ian, are you going to RBR Sunday? I'm going to Ibrox...................

Go To Front Page