News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Leader

Started by aweman, September 04, 2009, 05:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aweman

Advice please I am using 9ft Leeda Profil leader to my flyline it is attached by needle knot, If I want to use more than one fly how much leader can I use to add droppers.

Fishtales

As much as you can handle. I have a ten foot three fly cast on the end of a five foot tapered leader.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

scotty9

Welcome aweman, got a good idea who you are after last nights conversation!  :lol:

I'm the one missing a hand!

aweman

Quote from: Alan on September 04, 2009, 07:33:45 PM
AWEMAN  :lol: welcome to the forum, sorry i forgot the question.
Thats just as bad as me forgetting all that you have taught me

aweman

Quote from: scotty9 on September 04, 2009, 05:52:35 PM
Welcome aweman, got a good idea who you are after last nights conversation!  :lol:

I'm the one missing a hand!

Hope you have your other hand back soon.

windknot

hi aweman
               every situation varies in flat calm  have your droppers as far apart as possible
              but i n a swell or big wave  fish will be more secure and have a go at bigger flies closer together
              in river situations this applies to clear water or coloured but its all up to you if you can handle three flies
              without wind knots like me hope you have tangle free fishing
                                                                                                    good luck tomorrow

haresear

Hi Aweman.

As you know from talking to you at Knightswood, I fish rivers mainly, but if fishing wet flies on a loch I'll usually have pretty much the same basic leader set up as you, to which I add  about 7 or 8 feet of mono.
I cut the mono and tie my (single) dropper about 4 feet from the end using a water knot. So the whole set-up is 7 to 9' of tapered leader to about a 7lb tip, then three or four feet of mono to the dropper and the tail fly is about 4 feet from the dropper. Average total length is normally about 15 or 16 feet I suppose.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Aweman,

You will get every opinion on here.

Mine is similar to Alex but I cut off the tapered leader at around 6 ft and put a loop in it. That's my permanent butt. I then attach 11 or 12ft of 7lb Hardy Copolymer. My two flies are about 6ft apart. Total leader length about 17ft. I normally fish dry flys or nymphs.

However you are a much better wet fly loch fisherman than I am so how would you normally do it?

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page