News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Loch Ba, Highlands

Started by Blair, March 01, 2010, 05:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blair

Thinking of going for my first venture to Loch Ba, apart from details on our site, has anybody fished it early on in season and if so, when and any tips? Thanks

Blair :D

scotty9

I can confirm that loch ba and all surrounding lochs are currently frozen (probably very thick) and under a blanket of at least 1ft of snow, probably more!

Could try this approach:

superscot

The way this weather is going looks like a while yet before I'm even considering going out ..

Malcolm

One of the biggest Ba fish of recent years and a Daily Record fish of the week was caught in March. I believe it was the 15th. It was caught by the bus driver of a "Travelling Angling Club" on a black Pennel.

8lbs.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

harelug

"Daily Record Fish of the Week" sends instant doubts through my mind. But then, many years ago that lying bastard Haresear beat me too it with a 22lb pike, caught on 8lb line. Mine was same size but I was honest and admitted to 20lb line.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

Blair

Thanks guys, looks like on the calender for mid April, I'll look out the Ice auger just in case!! :shock:

Malcolm

Quote from: Sandfly on March 02, 2010, 05:45:59 PM
I have heard of this but not convinced it is true. I don't doubt there are big fish in Ba as it is a sizeable bit of water, but the largest I have seen from it was 1lb at most.

Davy

There's big fish to be caught and I think the early season may be the time to get Ferox as they descend back into Laidon. 

Geordie Mackenzie, the current Scotland team manager was a great Loch Ba fisher. He fished it in chest waders and knew routes to quite a number of the wee islands. He used to catch a lot of fish of a very good size, much bigger than 1lb.

However, like you Davy, I've never had a big fish from the Ba. I've seen a couple jump that were probably around the 2lb mark. A friend of mine and I were fishing the wee loch at the outflow of the Ba and he had a big fish on for several minutes while I watched his line touring about the loch. Despite using a powerful rod he could not get it to show at all and eventually the hook came loose.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Very interesting reading of better fish from Ba. Only fished it once and the word bandy doesn't real sum up the size of the fish caught  :lol: :lol:

Was up again today, can confirm everything still very frozen. There is a thaw forecast for the end of the week, with freezing levels to rise to the mountain summits or above, might kickstart a thaw on the lochs, who knows.

Tweed

I know it's not exactly the most remote of lochs, but I really love the place - once you get past the litter that some f##kwits chose to leave behind.  If you can get hold of a float tube, the loch was made for them.  I'd hike out a bit with it though before getting in - saves some flipper work and gets you to the better fishing IMHO.  I'd also be inclined to hold off until late April, especially this year.

Andrew

Black-Don

Quote from: Sandfly on March 02, 2010, 05:45:59 PM
I have heard of this but not convinced it is true. I don't doubt there are big fish in Ba as it is a sizeable bit of water, but the largest I have seen from it was 1lb at most.

Davy

Davy, when I was up there the other year there were BIG fish head and tailing at the reed beds south of the boathouse. :wink:

Go To Front Page