News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

damaged fly lines

Started by beaniboy67, February 09, 2006, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaniboy67

during the winter i noticed that my floater had a tiny little knick in it. I do know that badly damaged lines can ruin rod rings and that little knick although maybe not affecting my line or rings to much was annoying me.

The line was a cortland  444sl wf6(mint green) rocket taper and to be honest its been a great line(would reccomend)and i didnt fancy paying 40 quid for a new one cos of this wee bit of damage. i think i must have stood on it one time or caught my fly in it during a gale or something but every time i pulled line thru my fingers i felt it.

previously i have used aquasure at my nail knot at the tip of the line as i always have a 6 inch butt of 15 pound nylon there with a loop on it.I dont like braided loops cos of hinging and the 15 pound nylon defo transfers the energy trhu to the leader better than braided loops.The dab of aquasure at the join stops any water geting into the end of the line and therefore can stop the tip sinking that tiny wee bit when the water seeps thru the core. This is a full proof method if done properly so i decided to try it on very minor  line damage.

I havent really tested it yet on water but the little dab of aquasure defo feels smooth and it might just be a nice wee repair method to a minor line cut.

My friend when he started fly fishing also noticed that there was a few tiny circles round the diameter of his lines where a wind knot had occured a feet up the end of the line and this is probably been caused by a fly caching on his line and the nylon tighteing onto it. This method could also fill these in and although this part never really reaches the rings of the rod during casting it can make a the tip sink slightly.

hopefully this can help someone if they have ever been stuck for a solution to a litlte cut or knick and didnt want to run out and buy a new line.

beaniboy67

Quote from: Allan LiddleThe Aquasure will come out again in time.  Get some Zap a Gap glue as it sets stronger.  

Allan

whits that ??

you get it from fishing shops or ormal shops?

cheers

beaniboy67

thanks jedi i got some :D

thanks for the info allan i was looking for a decent all purpose glue for bits and bobs. That will hopefully work a treat.

cheers

Go To Front Page