News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

An Unseasonal Warning

Started by haresear, November 05, 2014, 07:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

I went to the doctor the other day with Labrynthitis - an ear infection.

While I was there I asked him to look at a couple of raised scaly patches on my forehead.

'Ah, that's your fishing that has caused that" he said. "Looks like Solar Keratosis."

It is a condition caused by long-term exposure to the sun and is yet another thing that affects auld gits like myself and quite possibly you.

Actually, I do always  in summer use factor 50 sunblock or thereabouts as i suffer from Discoid Lupus which means that I really should avoid the sun, but then that isn't a fisherman friendly precaution to take :)
I also always wear a hat and polarised sunglasses, so I do take precautions.

Just thought I'd mention it to raise awareness of the need to stay safe in the sun. It isn't a dangerous condition itself, but it can occasionally go cancerous.... http://www.sundamagedskin.co.uk/what-is-solar-keratosis

It still won't stop me going to New Zealand :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

superscot

QuoteI went to the doctor the other day with Labrynthitis - an ear infection.

I thought that was  having to listen to Fred ramble on  :lol: :lol:

But on the more serious note yer 100% right Alex keep covered up, i have two moles just below my hairline on the head and have to make sure they are covered up at all times in the sun, better to be safe that sorry   

Wildfisher

This is one reason I don't wear baseball caps. The wide brim hats  give far better sun protection.

Another reason  I don't wear baseball caps is they make you  look like a complete f*****g knob end.   :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on November 05, 2014, 07:26:06 PM
i suffer from Discoid Lupus

I'm no' keen on wolves myself Alex.  :lol:

haresear

Quote from: admin on November 05, 2014, 08:07:45 PM
I'm no' keen on wolves myself Alex.  :lol:

Especially those round flat ones :)

Quoteanother reason  I don't wear baseball caps is they make you  look like a complete f*****g knob end.   

....but not as much of a knob end as does wearing an ersatz Afrika Korps bunnet given away free with canned pishy beer. The Ranfurly bunnet no less  :lol:

Alex

Alex

Protect the edge.

Bobfly

A paramedic friend from the NW highlands frequently ferries folk to Inverness to get ulcered ear tops treated. Similar sort of thing due to too much sun on the lugs.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Otter Spotter

Thanks for this Alex, I had never heard of it before!

looking at the site you posted I think you may have diagnosed the problem I have on the backs of my hands (Pretty much the only exposed part of me when fishing). I will go to the Dr and get it checked out as I assumed it was an eczema or suchlike but it looks exactly like the pictures on the site.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

burnie

You could try night fishing for Sea Troots Alex

haresear

Quote from: burnie on November 16, 2014, 07:25:24 PM
You could try night fishing for Sea Troots Alex

:lol:

I went back to the doc and he has referred to to dermatology at the local hospital. Says they will likely slice it off or freeze it off.
When I told him that I am actually pretty careful with sun protection, he said the damage could have been done years ago when I was a kid.

Alex
Protect the edge.

harelug

DIY. Nip over to BOC in Bogles Hole Rd, that's where Dermatology get there liquid N2, I've found it good for verrucas too.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

Go To Front Page