News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Emerging upwing flies.... how do they do it?

Started by Amadan, February 09, 2010, 04:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amadan

I understand that for mayflies when they are emerging from the nymphal to the dun stage don't do so in the same way we would tie a typical emerger pattern (ie with the body etc hanging down in the water). Rather the whole nymphal shuck floats and the dun emerges actually on the surface rather than struggling through the surface film.

At least this is what it says in the clip of the Fish on Productions Mayfly DVD... which I've not bought due to lack of funds at the minute (christmas recovery phase shouldn't take two months but anyway). That's here: http://www.fishonproductions.co.uk/complete_mayfly.html

I think this is why yo get the trailing shuck imitations etc (sparkle dun or whatever)

Anyway, I've never managed to fish a mayfly hatch and really only just managed dry fly fishing a few times and never particularly fishing upwing imitations (just some midgey type things etc/klinks).

As I'm off to the Usk in April when March Browns and also some olives are supposed to be in abundance, I was wondering whether anyone knows whether this type of emergence is normal for all upwing flies?

And I suppose if so, have people, despite this, had much success fishing more klinkhamer style emergers during upwing hatches.

Rather annoyed as this weekend I finally managed to do some dark olive klinks of which I was rather proud (sorry camera ability is limited at the moment) only to find this might not be what I'll be needing.

Thanks.

Malcolm

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Amadan

Thanks Malcolm,

I had to look at the photo sequence for a while to convince myself that dun wasn't backing out of the nymph shuck- the shuck looks so perfect and well formed compared to the messy emerged adult.

Martin

Go To Front Page