News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hooks

Started by Wildfisher, November 13, 2011, 01:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Other than the odd Partridge Klinkhamer hook  (dreadful hooks  for losing fish and  not just in my experience) I tend to use Kamasan or Fulling Mill hooks for just about every fly I tie.

Am I missing a trick here? Should I be looking at anything else?

Traditionalist

Depends what you use them for. I would not give 95% of the hooks now on offer house room.

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Quote from: col on November 13, 2011, 02:03:05 PM
i  also do like the partridge barbless lsh upwing hooks , but i would be quaking in my boots playing a decent fish on them

The Partridge extreme Klink hooks make a great fly and the long, slim  abdomen, I am certain, attracts more fish, however I lose so many smaller / average fish on them although in New Zealand I have caught several 3 and 4 lb + fish with them and had no problems at all. Odd I know, but at home I lose at least 1/2 the fish I hook on these things and I am not alone. Joe has packed up using them too.

Fishtales

I liked the Mustad 9143 hooks but you can't get them anymore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mustad-Bronzed-Wet-Fly-Fishing-Hooks-9143-Size-4-Qty-200-/370557658547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5646f525b3

I haven't found a hook yet that comes near. I also liked the Sprite hooks.

http://www.veniard.com/search_results.asp?section=27

I'm not even sure if these are the same ones as the ones I got look lighter.

But I think it is the weight of the Mustad ones that makes them number one for me.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

bibio1

Any hook Barr varivas, pure shite. I particularly like tierce but started ordering umpqua, same hook less cost.

I have a batch of varivas 2200 or something. Looked at them and didn't even bother using them

Cheers

Paul

Malcolm

The short shank Kamasan B160s are what I use for most of my trout flies. It's a confidence thing I suppose, I like the idea of a 14 gape hook on a size 16 fly. I use Sprite for my salmon doubles. I have not had any problems whatever with either of those.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on November 13, 2011, 08:56:06 PM
I have a batch of varivas 2200 or something. Looked at them and didn't even bother using them

is that the ones that straighten with a salmon parr?   :D

Ythanjoe

I doubt I will stray beyond Kamasan next season, after getting suckered into trying various other hooks on long winter days at the tying bench , just to get staightened or snapped hooks in spring, I've learnt all I need to know about other makes. Varivas are complete and utter sh*te and thats giving sh*te a bum deal. Tiemco are good , I really like the 103BL, just looks great for dries, but I tend to dress most dries on Kamasan B100 or #16 (or smaller), straight shanks and I am not sure the 103BL is strong enough in smaller sizes, the Kamasan B170 has never let me down. Mustad R50 is a nice hook in smaller sizes, good for dries and wets. No more Partridge Klink Extremes for me, in my hands they are poor hookers, and when they do get a good hold they can be tough to extract.
Joe

haresear

Pretty much agree with everyone else.

Kamasans are fine for most purposes. I think Tiemcos are stronger and better and prefer them for small dries 16 and under, but for most of our fishing the difference is negligible.
Fulling Mill are good hooks too and comparable with Kamasan.

Varivas 2200 look nice, but they are shite.

I still use the Partridge Klinkhammer in larger sizes (equating to a "normal" 12 upward) but have to admit i've missed or lost a lot of fish on those. I've caught plenty too, so I'm still undecided.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Tiemco for me with certain kamasans chucked in there B160s, B175, B100 for small fish emergers and something big for streamers. Everything else is Tiemco, they have a few cracking shapes I really like and their strength seems excellent. For pike I've been using whatever salt water hooks I like the look of in the fishing shop!

Tiemco TMC9300 for straight shank dries
2487 is a brilliant emerger hook
2900BL (think that's what it's called!) is without doubt my favourite nymph hook.

Go To Front Page