News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Polystickle

Started by Wildfisher, November 27, 2014, 10:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I remember when it first appeared, 1960s or 70s. It was the must have fly of its day.

I found this image.  Anyone tie or use this fly? 

SoldierPmr

Seen it in plenty of books never tried it my self but imagen they would be good in waters shared with plenty of coarse fish.

Bobfly

Was it not intended for the likes of fish feeding in the autumn for bait fish in the shallow margins?
I have caught a few troots on a silvery bodied bait fish type fly with a "wing" along the back made with a bunch of bronze mallard and a head of peacock herl. That has been ripped to bits on a few days !! :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Yes that would be fragile. The Polystickle uses raffia  which I expect would be more robust.

lnelson20

Very effective late season on our local lochs Fred,always liked the translucent look of that fry.I tie a similar type of pattern using pearl mylar and holographic tinsels covered with clear plastic,very effective.

Chris.
c.nelson

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on November 27, 2014, 03:30:33 PM
I keep meaning to try it on Uist where all the lochs have sticklebacks.

That's what brought it to mind in fact. There are sticklebacks in a lot of lochs, unlike minnows they are also, I believe,  native to highland Scotland.

Wildfisher

Highlander

My God a blast from the past. Used them frequently in the 70s/80s when I passed through the Dark Side of fishing. Never had much luck with them I recall other than they were good for Perch in places like Menteith. Fred mentions Raffia but I thought it used Raffene which is the synthetic version of the natural material. Still doubt I will ever go back to them but they certainly look the part as an attractor lure. Maybe they are due a come back who knows.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on November 27, 2014, 04:24:05 PM
My God a blast from the past.
It sure is. One time it was a go-to lure.

I  think you are right about the Raffene.

Things have moved on since those days, so perhaps it's a fly that needs an update, like a marabou tail to give it a bit more "life" and a bead at the head to give it a bit more action. 

lnelson20

Put up a wee report on the polystickle a few years ago,polystickled in praise of an oldie. :)

Chris
c.nelson

Go To Front Page