News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sawyer's Killer Bug

Started by Wildfisher, March 16, 2015, 07:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Any of you use this for the brown trout?

I ordered some Semperfli Chadwick's 477 substitute for a few quid on Ebay.

Do you weight the fly and what size, hook stye do you use?

Mark

I have occasionally used them. Size 12/14 normally with a copper wire body, wool wrapped round and tied off with the same wire.

gerrymaguire

i bought a whole card of chadwicks 477 at a boot sale for 50p about 10 years ago stuck it some place safe and haven't seen it since, my brother used to fish one on a dropper 6 inches above the worm when trotting for grayling, most were caught on the bug! he used the red copper wire from a transformer when tying them , no doubt trout would go for them for sure.

bibio1

The copper wire coming through the dressing is a big part of it. Makes the fly go reddish pink.

Great fly.

Rabmax

I tried a substitute years ago i bought from Lathkill & it never caught me a fish.The Utah Killer Bug is just deadly especially early season high water Autumn & winter if you fish for Grayling.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=utah+killer+bug&espv=2&biw=1032&bih=732&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RaMGVYyyHeXm7gbNtYCQBQ&ved=0CCAQsAQ
I have tried a few different versions of it.I do various bead-head jig ones,leaded scud hooks.I dont use the pink wire to weight them.Wool Oyster Shetland Spindrift. I put a good base of pink glo-brite floss over the lead wire then twist the wool a bit & wrap.When wet the wool becomes transparent & the pink bleeds through.I might actualy be using one in half an hour when the wife gets back with the car. :D A cased caddis & a rubber leg stonefly was about the only thing i could get fish to eat yesterday though..Cheers All

keithfish

Used one yesterday caught bugger all. :D
Seriously though they do work, I tie mine with the red wire underbody.

garryh

look in among Davie Mcphaills videos on youtube .he uses the copper wire as the thread. very simple method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt61pj90nU8

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Go To Front Page