News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Small Stoneflies

Started by Wildfisher, May 22, 2008, 02:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Down at the Don the other night I noticed a hatch of small stoneflies, no idea of the species. Probably about  3/8 inch long, very slim, non-descript pale buff / olive green. I was thinking about tying up some size 14 deer hair sedges, very slim / light dressing using haresear for the body. Anyone know of a better pattern?

Wildfisher

Sorry,  I should have said it's a dry I'll be tying. I thought the slim tied  DHS, the wing shape and the fact it uses no hackle  would be close to the profile of the real file

haresear

Sounds like a yellow sally, Fred?

The elk hair caddis with a yellowish olive body has worked for me in the past. Like youy say, the wing should be kept slim unless you are skating it, when a front hackle helps keep it on top.

You might find this link useful as a fly calendar for the Don http:// /pdfs/Fly%20Calendar.pdf

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on May 22, 2008, 03:07:19 PM
You might find this link useful as a fly calendar for the Don http:// /pdfs/Fly%20Calendar.pdf

thanks I'd lost that

Wildfisher

Isoperla grammatica

that's the one

[attachimg=1]

it's not exactly "yellow" though! Even in real life

haresear

Quoteit's not exactly "yellow" though! Even in real life

I've seen them ranging from bright yellow on a loch at Kinbrace (first time I'd seen fish target them) through to a dirty lime/olive shade.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

OK, I didn't realise they were so variable. Looks like the Don jobs are olive.

What size(s) do you tie them in?

haresear

QuoteWhat size(s) do you tie them in?

Usually a 14

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I'll tie up a few when I get home from jail (work  :roll:). This is the kind of fly tying I enjoy. Completely connected to the fishing experience - reactive - as compared to tying on a winter's night and forgetting all about the flies by the time the season starts  :D

.D.

Quote from: admin on May 22, 2008, 03:32:02 PM
OK, I didn't realise they were so variable. Looks like the Don jobs are olive.

What size(s) do you tie them in?

You also have the Small Yellow Sally to consider - it's in a different genus, and a little smaller (usually under 9mm long). That may account for some of the variation in colour. They both seem to vary quite  a bit in size though. I've seen the Yellow Sally as small as that, but often far bigger.

.D.

Go To Front Page