News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trolling lures, pike, Trout etc.

Started by HDzine, May 02, 2012, 03:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDzine

We are taking a trip to loch Venachar, we plan on taking a boat for a few hours to do some trolling for pike, Trout and possibly salmon or what ever else is out there(if we are lucky). what is the best lures for the area or in general for these..... its been a while but if i remember right i used to use rapala, taz's, wedges and some dead bait.

its been a while so im lookin for the new top tips and some advice, i have noticed alot of talk about fly fishing so im not sure if this is a fly forums... my apologies if it is.

sorry for the 101 questions in every forum section :P

Thanks,
               Chris.

Inchlaggan

Aye, they all pretend to be "fly fishing only", but they get the spinning and trolling gear out when they blank!
There are as many lures as there are flies, but a deadbait rig is pretty different from a lure set-up, if you are only going out for a few hours, I'd stick to one set up.
Toby's, Tazzy's and Rapalas all work, but you have to get the speed and depth spot on to make sure the end tackle is working to optimum. Speed is easy, drop the lure over the side and keep it in view, Change speed until you see the lure is working correctly in the water, and watch the rod tip- it should be "twitching". Let out the correct amount of line for the depth you want and maintain the speed- the rod tip should be twitching in the same manner. If you have two or more rods out, with radically different lures on each, you are making it more difficult to get the right speed for all rods.
I'd try jointed Rapalas (of the same size) in different colours.
Don't forget a wire trace for the pike (like I did!).
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

HDzine

excellent, great tips there..... wiill definitely give it a whirl, ill buy both solid and jointed and see how they go.

thanks for the help

HDzine

Quote from: Sandfly on May 03, 2012, 08:11:22 PM
As far as I know it is Fly Fishing only from the boats. Have not fished Venachar for about 3 years now.
Far too many of the worm drowning / powerbait ned element about the place now  :x

Davy.
yeh due to this we decided to just grab a rowing boat and hit loch lommond, forgot about the May weekend so to avoid stress of traffic then we decided that we wouldnt travel too far and somewhere not too busy.....

thanks for the feedback, will more than likely report back if we have any joy.

Go To Front Page