News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wire Nymph

Started by Part-time, April 19, 2010, 11:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part-time

I noticed a few mentions of a wire nymph now and again and was keen to give it a try. I've tried a few searches but couldn't find a pattern for tying it so I'd be most grateful if anyone could let me know the  pattern.

Thanks
John

scotty9

I've seen the pattern courtesy of Alex, I just need to learn how to tie it  :lol: Could someone post very brief tying instructions please?

haresear

Not really being a fly tier, just an angler who ties his own flies, I don't feel qualified to give detailed instructions and I change the recipes all the time anyway.

The one in the photo below was almost straightened out by the fish in the next photo. That recipe has caught me a lot of fish, but like I say I change the pattern all the time.

The recipe for the one in the photo is...

tail - pearl Krystal flash ( I often use copper or black Krystal flash)
abdomen and underbody - UTC medium brown wire
wingcase - brown nymphskin
thorax - dubbed brown possum (I often use rabbit fur).

That is my wire nymph, but I know Col and Clan Ford each have their own versions and they look a lot more professional than mine.     
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Must be a crappy fly if that's all it catches  :shock: Absolute stonker!  :D Tying some up right now! Just finished some glister nymphs, now onto wire ones  :8)

Clan Ford

My wire nymphs are very simillar, but often I add a bead to get them down a bit.  My choice of wire colour is UTC wine but I tie them in olive as well.  Certainly find the "brown" version works best.

Norm

River Chatter

That fish is the glittering prize for Alex's labours at the vice Scotty, so don't begrudge him that!  Besides, his fly tying efforts help him to catch fish big enough to indulge his fetish for fish willing to let him to put his index finger were most would argue it doesn't belong!  :lol:

haresear

QuoteBesides, his fly tying efforts help him to catch fish big enough to indulge his fetish for fish willing to let him to put his index finger were most would argue it doesn't belong!  Laughing

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Teither

There you go ! Further evidence of what trout fishing's for !

Teither

Part-time

Many thanks for the info Alex & Norm - better get my order in for UTC wire. Thats some fish by the way Alex; didn't know wire nymphs were that good!

Race you to the first fish on a wire nymph Scotty :)

John

scotty9

Quote from: Part-time on April 20, 2010, 10:39:36 PM
Many thanks for the info Alex & Norm - better get my order in for UTC wire. Thats some fish by the way Alex; didn't know wire nymphs were that good!

Race you to the first fish on a wire nymph Scotty :)

John

Ah that's no fair, I can't get out for another three and a half weeks  :( Have tied some up though!

Go To Front Page