News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Magpie Tail

Started by east wind, September 04, 2010, 10:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

Don't know about the daytime fishing but by the time i get to wet a line I've been finding it hard going for the past few weeks chasing single lazy risers picking off things i can't see till it gets too dark.

If there is a flutter of sedges, still the most effective pattern for me at this time of year is the Magpie Tail. I tie it with a much longer than normal black hen hackle. The body has been tied with peacock herl and two turns of flat silver tinsel as a tag or black thread with a silver rib but the most effective is simply black thread with the two turns of silver tinsel and at the moment done in a #14 size.

Ginked up and cast as per wet fly with a further downstream mend, it cuts the fly across the water and will always create an interest, as i move into a slower section i see the wake in the oily water and can target individual fish. If nothing moves to it after about ten casts then its not sitting properly or gone.

The fly will almost always prevent a blank, the profile is spot on and if you wait around till after the initial burst of activity peters out there is always a chance of something bigger.

Probably a bit late now but worth keeping in mind for next season.

Cheers,

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Harpo

Interesting E>W, targetting risers with a down and across floating Sedge technique...my wee brain struggles to hold all of the possibilities :o

My catch rate has plummeted this season once the up-wings stopped hatching and the evenings started getting shorter.

have you got a photo of said fly?

Cheers

Stu

east wind

I'm out all day tomorrow Stu but i can certainly try to put a picture up as soon as.

Highlander

Have not got a picture unfortunately but until east wind posts one here is the dressing.

Magpie Tail
Hook: 12
Body: black tying silk
Rib: silver wire
Wing: green of the Magpie tail, dressed flat
Hackle: black cock tied long, hen will do & three turns is about right.

A good gloaming,night time fly when Sedge & moth are about. I have a few shown on my web site if you care to have a look
http://www.thehighlanderway.com/clyde_style_flies.html
Ones I particularly like for nightime other than the forementioned are the Stank Hen & the White Tip

Stank Hen

Hook:12
Thread: dark olive
Body: Bronze Peacock herl
Tag: three turns of flat gold tinsel
Rib: fine gold wire
Wing: Waterhen dressed flat
Hackle:  Dark Ginger Hen, again three turns is fine.

Mine differs from the original in that I use Woodcock for wing & have an orange head other than that profile as is. I fish them on a two fly cast with either the Magpie or Stank Hen on bob & a White Tip or Crow & Silver on tail, down & accross. Bit late in season now but  next season.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Highlander

QuoteIt does beg the question, why call it the Magpie Tail?

QuoteMagpie Tail
Hook: 12
Body: black tying silk
Rib: silver wire
Wing: green of the Magpie tail, dressed flat
Hackle: black cock tied long, hen will do & three turns is about right.

Dhuuu........cause it uses the greenish feather from the Magpie Tail
:roll:
Maybe they could have called it The Magpie Wing Fly
:)
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Clan Chief

Here it is..........

Highlander

QuoteI looked at the Stank Hen pattern, never even saw the bit at the top 

Ardbeg, I hate it when I do that. Remember one time while back giving a long winded explanation about something or other only to be pointed out that it was nothing to do with the original posting. Saw a key word. did not read the rest properly & went off on the god damm awfulest tangent I could.
Dhuuu
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ardbeg on September 05, 2010, 06:36:44 PM
I looked at the Stank Hen pattern, never even saw the bit at the top 

That's why you're a moderator Smurf. You never miss a thing.   :lol:

east wind

Still a great catcher of fish

Two matching slips of magpie tail or one rolled with greenish hue to outside. Long hen hackle, black thread and two turns of flat silver tinsel (try them in touching turns, those close ups are too detailed  :)) This has been my best combination.

I've used other traditional patterns like the cinnamon sedge, duck tip, palmered sedge and others. Also more recent patterns, the one with a feather stuck onto some clear sellotape and cut to shape, and deer hair variants and they will all catch, but in late august to early Sept when it gets very dark very quickly  the magpie tail is more effective for me.

Perhaps its the old confidence in the fly thing but trout seem attracted to the dragged semi-submerged effect.

[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page