News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Nymphs and Buzzers for Assynt.

Started by Brook, December 18, 2011, 11:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brook

Hi to All on the Wild Fishing Forum.
I'm a new member(first post)and have enjoyed reading all the excellent posts.
I'm about to start tying a box of Nymphs and buzzers,to use on a holiday to Assynt in June.
Thinking some type of Diawl Back,epoxy buzzer and Stewart's spiders for midge pupa.
Not well up on Nymph patterns for Olives, Sedge and Mayfly,so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks Kev.

bibio1

If I was you I'd stick to claret sedge some yellow goslings and a couple of other traditionalise if you want to fill yir boots.

Cheers

Paul

Brook

Thanks Paul,
Defo want to fill Mi boots,so You think drys and wets are a better option.
Will check out the Yellow Gosling,never used one.
Kev.

Malcolm

I've probably had 70-80% of my Assynt fish on very few flies. Muddler and Hare's ear nymph (with orange, red or pink coloured tail), Hopper size 10 and also CDC shuttlecock, Partridge and orange and snipe and purple. The last three flies I use as bob flies when I am using a dry hopper on the tail. I have tried ordinary hard buzzers but never had a great deal of success with them in Assynt.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Black-Don

Quote from: Malcolm on December 18, 2011, 02:17:54 PM
I've probably had 70-80% of my Assynt fish on very few flies. Muddler and Hare's ear nymph (with orange, red or pink coloured tail),

Is it a fly like this you mean Malcolm ?

Brook

Thanks Lads,
looking like dry sedge patterns and Hare's ear nymphs are ones to tye.Will  be tacking some Hoppers and Partridge and Orange,as these are already some of My favorites.
The reason I was asking about Buzzer and Nymphs is that it's something I've not tried on wild Brownies,so it's on My to do list for 2012.Will probally try them for a while then switch to drys and wets,if it's slow going that is.Always worth developing new techniques???
Any more patterns or tips will be greatfully recieved.
Kev.

deergravy

Kev
As you're going in June, you're likely to encounter mayfly hatches - most of the Assynt lochs have them. Standard mayfly imitations will work well, the fish tend not to be overly fussy, but I can't see past a #10 olive bodied Deerhair Emerger as the frontline weapon when the big drakes are hatching.

Otherwise, claret sedgehog, if your fishing dry; and a Loch Ordie on the dropper if your pulling wets.

PM me and I'll send you a few big DHEs if you like and give you some pointers.  :)

Brook

Deergravy,
Thanks for the info and the offer of the flies.
PM sent.
Cheers Kev.

Go To Front Page