News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rolls Royce Vices

Started by Wildfisher, December 24, 2011, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad

I use a Dynaking Barracuda, which I  really like, great allrounder.

Also tie a lot of  flies while at work with a Danvice fixed to the steering wheel of my truck while on break or waiting  in queues etc, natural light is great in the cab.

I tried a Norvice  this year , interesting system but just  couldnt  get  on with it.Great  for dubbing and winding bodies but I  found it a pain for small flies and anything with a long tail  was  tricky  to  work on.Luckily I had it on trial so the seller took it back .

Traditionalist

Another vote for the Apex here.
2012 workshop project to make a bobbin cradle for it, (it was a 2011 project as well........)
UNQUOTE

If you want to save some money use one of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/edu-lab-600-10-Retort-Laboratory-Bosshead/dp/B0044NV2XI/ref=pd_sim_diy_2/277-1918269-7981044

TL
MC

Clan Chief

Sadly my vice is not a Rolls Royce. Mine is more Vauxhall Viva  :lol: I used to be of the opinion.. why pay hundreds of pounds for what effectively is a hook holder? when there are loads of vices available at a fraction of the cost. But my views have changed. They look good and feel good and would love to have one after handling one and  seeing them being used at a couple of tying fares and I can now understand why tyers grow so attached to their vices. If you can afford one, then why not ?

bibio1

I started tying without a vice for about 15years and then graduated to a dyna-king which is a great vice but hardly a rolls Royce. From my perspective as cc says it's a hook holder and I don't think the rotary function makes much difference.

Probably never need to buy another vice ever.

Cheers

Paul

Highlander

Like Davy I use a Snowbee Flymate, has a few minor niggles but does what it says on the tin, holds hooks tight & easy to work around.
The Law by all accounts is indeed the Rolls Royce of vices though & many of the top tiers use one but then they would.
If I have to buy another The Apex would be a consideration.
But like all things, buy what suits you.Rolls Royce won't make you a great tier but you will look the part if nothing else.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Traditionalist

Quote from: col on December 24, 2011, 09:08:03 PM
i bought a integrity vice about 15 years ago, i was considering a new vice although ive been quite happy with the one i have and was thinking replacing like for like , are there any clear advantages from a  "rolls royce" vice  over a cheaper vice or are they just personal divulsions?

I don't think there are any clear advantages except the obvious ones, quality of materials and manufacture etc.  If a vice suits you and it works as you want it to that's all you need. Buying a more expensive one wont change that.

TL
MC

dazdidge

Quote from: Inchlaggan on December 24, 2011, 12:06:09 PM
Another vote for the Apex here.
2012 workshop project to make a bobbin cradle for it, (it was a 2011 project as well........)

I made something similair for myself as well, didn't take much time and the materials were free. I found a piece of scrap brass which I squared off in the milling machine and drilled 3 holes in it, one for the screw to clamp it, one for sliding onto the vice, and the other for inserting a piece of stainless steel welding rod. I have a crocodile clip atatched to it so I can hold wing posts out of the way while tying in a hackle etc.

I don't know if I would ever buy a really expensive vice, I have a pretty cheap one but it holds the hook firmly enough to do the job it was intended for. I couldn't justify more than about £50 for one, unless of course I won the lottery.

daz

Robbie

I also own a LAW vice, used to us a Snowbee Flymate. Both are very good vices and I would recommend either.

Do I tie better flies using the LAW?  Doubt it.
Was the LAW worth the extra cost?  Many would so not but I say absolutely.  Sometimes it is just nice to own and use quality kit.

Go To Front Page