News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

river fly book ?

Started by James, April 27, 2012, 04:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Highlander is spot on about the Oliver Edwards DVDs.

I reckon you will learn far more from those. Read books for sure, but seeing it done, even if it is on a DVD, is far more useful.

I'd buy the following over whatever  period you can afford in this order:

Wet Fly Fishing On Rivers
Big Dry Flies For Fast Water
Streamer Fishing On Rivers
Czech Nymphing and North Country Spiders
Search and Sight Fishing

James

never thought about DVD's lol . cheers lads.

Found a seller on Amazon who has most of the Oliver Edwards DVD's.

Just tying up a Hi - Vis Caddis pattern i found on a google search last night .

James

First DVD ordered up , i went for the Wet fly fishing on Rivers expected to arrive this Thursday.

Traditionalist

James

Mike , had a look at some of the clips and all they did was get me hungry for more info lol. just had an email update from Amazon my DVD has been sent out for delivery so with any luck it will arrive tomorrow ( i hope )

Traditionalist

It's as well to remember that you can't learn everything at once! :)   You learn the most about techniques and such by actually practicing what you have learned on the water.

The Edwards DVD's are good because they show "normal" fishing, and not some hyped up stuff.

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Quote from: Mike Connor on April 30, 2012, 07:53:24 PM
The Edwards DVD's are good because they show "normal" fishing, and not some hyped up stuff.

Exactly. Accessible to every man and delivered with bullshit-free Yorkshire directness. I really like these films, they remind me so much of an old chap who took me fishing in the 1960s. A master of upstream wet fly. No crap about  rod actions, line profiles, 35 foot leaders  or hyped up casting, just a relaxed style, knowledge  and hundreds  of fish.

burnie

Oliver used to go to the big game fairs where for a donation,you could go on a guided walk along the river bank.He was turning over stones to look for clues as to what's in the river,learnt no end from him.

James

i worded that wrongly , what i was meaning i seen a 2 or 3 min clip of Oliver Edwards wet fly DVD and wished i already had it in front of me as i was enjoying the little clip lol.
i already have several spider patterns in my river box so i will be paying close attention. just need to get out onto a river to put it into practice.

Baron Braeburn

Go To Front Page