News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Your ONE fly - what would it be?

Started by Ptinid, December 20, 2005, 07:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptinid

Had the fly boxes, and now the fly swap.

But if you had to have only one fly on a trip, what would it be?

As you know, I normally fish rivers, and my choice would be a simple fly I've developed. Brown thread for the body, pale blue or light grey hackle. If ginked, it sits up as a dry; body wetted, but hackle ginked, it sits in the film as an emerger. I caught more on that than on anything else last season (I chose the fly for the fly swap becasue it does better at the ends of the season). Sizes from 14 to 22. Imitates a huge rainge of flies and small living things!!

So, what would be your ONE fly??
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

nant_fisher

The Bibio. That fly caught me more things than all my other flies put together last season. It caught fish when nothing else would on some lochs and when the fish were examined they had been eating snails. I have not had any sucess with it on rivers but since i am primarily a loch fisher it's no real problem. Definetly my favourite fly.
Adventure time

rabbitangler

Quote from: SwithunWould have to be the claret DHE.  Doesn't always work though.  But when it does...it can't be beaten!

Couldn't agree more

Peter

Though I'd add a green body in a sneaky place :wink:

Wildfisher

Ptinid

and doesn't that show what a varied lot we are - mid you there's a fair few like the Hare Ear :)

Now a box made up with those flies should be pretty successful - time to get tying  :twisted:
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Wildfisher

Actually, if you had a box of green tailed kates, you would in effect have two flies if you bit the tail off ? of them.   :lol:

Go To Front Page