News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly wallet and old flies

Started by Tyro, February 21, 2017, 05:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyro

Just been given this lovely old fly wallet. It belonged to the late father of a non fishing friend who has thoughtfully passed it on to me. Leather wallet with half a dozen felt type inserts full of wee trout flies some with no eye and the tippet? tied straight in to them. Also a hand written bill from a shop in Aberfeldy including flies they could make up dated July 1940.
Fascinating stuff.

Len

Tyro

Seem to have lost the wallet on that posting. Here it is.

Lochan_load

Nice that! Wouldn't mind somethimg some similar.

Bobfly

Great collectors piece that wallet  :D :D    It looks to be in fine condition.

I was handed a rusty tin by an old neighbour of a few of her husbands flies. I put them into two picture frames from a charity shop. Eight trout flies were tied direct to gut and many of the salmon flies had gut eyes on them. A thin card had a cast wound on and from "Charles Lyon .. Sporting Stores". I don't know where they might have been based but the two frames make a nice display.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Tyro

Quote from: Bobfly on February 21, 2017, 08:13:47 PM
Great collectors piece that wallet  :D :D    It looks to be in fine condition.

I was handed a rusty tin by an old neighbour of a few of her husbands flies. I put them into two picture frames from a charity shop. Eight trout flies were tied direct to gut and many of the salmon flies had gut eyes on them. A thin card had a cast wound on and from "Charles Lyon .. Sporting Stores". I don't know where they might have been based but the two frames make a nice display.

I am tempted to take the flies out of the wallet and use them to make a wee display or two as you say. I might then use the wallet to keep a few salmon flies in and actually use it rather than just have it sitting in a drawer.

bibio1

I saw a teal and green there. Been years since I used one. Might tie a few.

Billy

My Uncle gave me one many years ago.

The pages were made of felt and then a few pages of a kind of waxed paper with pockets for casts in between.

When his first Grandson was born he asked if he could have it back to pass down the family line. Unfortunately none of his Grandsons fished and the wallet disappeared.
I always thought it would have been nice to keep it in his memory as it was a nice wallet and well used by him and his father.

Billy

Highlander

I had one just like that but I loaned it too a friend along with a few nice books a rod & reel & a brand new JC cape & what does he do ups & dies. Had not the heart to go to his wife  but later finds out she tossed all his stuff everything out including my stuff as she found out he was playing away when he had the fatal heart attack. Story was he was changing a wheel on his van but in reality he was with his secretary. Suppose it was a good way to go.
Anyway I am still searching E Bay for a really good one & an ABU Laplandia 541 fly rod. Rest I have replaced.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page