News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

ARUNDO

Started by Traditionalist, October 25, 2011, 04:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

The flies from "Practical Fly-Fishing" by Arundo  ( John Beever) 1849

The Orange Dun
The Grouse
The Iron Blue
The Green "Woodcock
The Silk Fly
The Sand Gnat, or Gravel Fly
The Big Dun
The Bracken Clock
The Flat Yellow
The Stone Fly
The Downlooker, or Oak Fly
The Green Drake, or Cadow
Dye for the Green Drake
The Black Drake, or Grey Drake
The Orange Fly
The Pale-blue, or Willow Fly
The Shamrock Fly
Cock's Hackles
Hooks

A LIST OF THE MOST USEFUL NATURAL FLIES, WITH THEIR IMITATIONS.

THE SPRING BLACK.
This is the first Black of the season, on most running waters; appears about the latter end of March, and is good until about the middle of May, when the Black Caterpillars and Black Gnat take its place. The hook is No. 1; the wing from the quill of the Swift; body, silk, the colour of Lundy Foote's snuff, with a bit of fine black Ostrich's herl laid on like a screw, to show the silk underneath; and a small hen's hackle, of a sooty black, for legs. About four and twenty years ago, a friend and myself were fishing, in the middle of April, in the Slate-Quarry Dub, on Tweed, a little below Elibank Wood. We had come, in a chaise, from Selkirk (eight or nine miles) that morning. For about an hour, all was still, until a shoal of Spring Blacks came upon the water. Every fish seemed in pursuit of them. I had three of them dressed in my book, and immediately put two of them on my line, one at the point, and one next me. The colour was so true, and so many fish were feeding within reach, that I had only to select the best fish. This feed only lasted forty minutes; and, in that time, I got six pounds and a half, taking two at once six times.

Unfortunately, my friend, who had the opposite side of the river, had no Spring Blacks, and could not touch a fish. I tied up my remaining fly in a piece of paper, with a pebble for ballast, and threw it across to him. At the first throw he hooked a Trout, which took his fly from him, as he had neglected to tie the knot securely. During the whole of the feed, though a skilful and industrious fisher, he only got two fish; for so very particular were the fish that day, as they sometimes are, that they would have nothing but the Spring Black. This fly may often be seen in great numbers in the cold afternoons of spring, upon fresh horse-dung.

THE MARCH BROWN.
Dun Drake, Brown Drake, Turkey Fly. This is a fine handsome insect, and is out during the whole of April, and part of May. On sunny mornings it springs early, and is often very numerous. It is the first of the large flies which attract the notice of good fish. A party of gentlemen, who made Selkirk their head-quarters for about a month, many years ago, took a great quantity of fish with this fly in Tweed, Ettrick, Yarrow, St. Mary's, and Meggat. They made it in many ways; the following was esteemed the best. Hook 2 or 3; wing from the tail of a hen Pheasant, or the quill of a Partridge; hackle dappled, or cuckoo - coloured, (prevailing colours, light-blue dun and tawny yellow). Silk, generally primrose, but sometimes chocolate. On the Dove, it is called the Turkey- fly, and winged from the quill of a Turkey- hen, or Turkey-poult, and hackled with a light, meally dun cock's or hen's hackle.

THE LESSER MARCH BROWN.
This fly is not much more than half the size of the last. It is generally made as a hackle, with a feather taken from the back of the cock Partridge, in November or December, which is then beautifully and regularly speckled. Hook 1 or 2; silk, mahogany colour; and a little coarse claret-coloured dubbing, of mohair.

THE GRANAM, OR GREEN-TAIL,
is an early fly, generally seen the first warm days of April, and is very fond of sunshine. Sometimes it is so numerous that the water appears as if a quantity of chaff had been thrown out by a miller. Old anglers are not generally much pleased to see it; for the number and liveliness of the natural flies render their chance small, and also enable the fish so to glut themselves, as to require little more insect food that day. It is like many other insects, very variable in its appearance. In some years, scarcely any are seen. It is a flat fly with four wings, and flutters very much upon the water, perhaps, from an instinct of the female to deposit her eggs, which hang in a large green bunch at the end of her body; and from which, doubtless, the name of the fly originated. Hook " No. 2; wing or hackle from a feather which grows on the bone underneath the Woodcock's wing, and is of a lead colour, barred with white; silk, of a grass or ivy-green colour. About half the body should be made with fur from a hare's face, leaving the remainder of it bare to show the green silk.

THE SPRING DUN.
The Middle Dun, the Dun Cut, the Yellow Dun, the Dotterel Dun, the Honey Dun, the Brown Dun. These names, and many more, are, in various parts of the country, applied to an ephemera, which appears in most, if not all of the Trout waters of these kingdoms, throughout the whole season, although in greater numbers during spring and autumn, than at other times. It is also rather larger at those periods than in the summer months. Like other ephemerae, it is an afternoon or evening fly. Various as are the names by which it is known amongst anglers, the ways of imitating it are far more so. It is winged or hackled, in different parts of the country, in many different ways.
In Scotland, the under-wing of the Moor- poult, the wing of the Sparrow, the Skylark, and the Bunting, are used : for the North of England, the Snipe, the Dotterel, and the Golden Plover, are preferred: in the Peak of Derbyshire, cock's and hen's hackles are much employed: in the South of England, they use the wing of the Starling ;a feather from the bastard-wing of the wild Mallard is sometimes made use of. Having tried these and several others, without the success which an imitation of such a well known fly ought to command, my next attempt was with the wing of the young Starling, before it attains the adult plumage. It is a beautifully blended tint of blue, brown, and yellow. I tried it in conjunction with a hen's hackle of the same colour (not easily met with), and a mixed body of a primrose and dandelion-coloured silk, and have never made it any other way since. So very often has excellent sport been had with this fly, in England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, that it is needless to mention any particular locality. It will always be in fashion whilst the world lasts and streams run. The hook for this fly is 1, 2, or 3, according to the water.

THE RUDDY FLY.
The Marlo Buzz, the Furnace, Coch a Bondu. The Ruddy is a beetle, chiefly a fly for spring and summer; and most useful as an afternoon or evening fly. The upper wings are of a colour redder than cinnamon, and much brighter, and the under wings are black. Under different names it is a great favourite on most Trout streams. Hook 2; silk, bright red, between scarlet and crimson; hackle from a ruddy cock; the body, black ostrich's herl, rather full. I once (early in May) saw a person hook
three very nice Trout at once; (he was fishing three Ruddys); he landed two of them, and lost the third.

THE COWDUNG FLY.
A good fly, particularly for cold, windy days. Hook 2; wing, a yellowish brown feather from the bastard-wing of the female Woodcock; silk, orange; dubbing, a mixture of orange and red mohair, with a few hairs from a hare's face.

THE DARK-BLUE DUN, OR MERLIN.
This fly is excellent on dark, cold, and stormy days, throughout the season. It is one of the ephemerae, or upright-wing flies, and is generally made with a dark blue cock's or hen's hackle, and lead-coloured silk. The following way of making it is original, and has been very successful during a long trial. Hook 2; wing from the dark-blue part of the quill of the male Merlin Hawk; hackle from the grey part of a Jackdaw's neck ; silk, dark lead, with a little Mole's fur for dubbing, very sparingly introduced. One day, long ago, in the middle of June, being in the neighbourhood of Ashburn, I took my rod, and walked (about four miles) to Dovedale. The day was dark and foggy, with a gentle rain, which was just sufficient to give the river a faint milky tinge without muddying it. This was one of the best days I ever saw for fish feeding upon the fly, as they were rising greedily when I arrived at the water, about eleven o'clock in the morning, and I left them feeding at three in the afternoon. This was a great day for the Merlin. After angling for about an hour, I saw the gamekeeper approaching: he asked about the fish, and I told him that they were doing pretty well, and whilst we were talking, I noticed several very nice Trout and Grayling feeding not far from where we stood. At last, the keeper wished me good sport, and left me. I soon took most of the fish that I had marked whilst conversing with him, and then my basket was full. Fortunately, I had a large hare- pocket in my jacket, and I loaded one end of it, until it became very uncomfortable, when I began to fill the other end, and soon brought matters to a balance. I believe I had eight-and-thirty fine fish, and nearly all of them were taken with the Merlin. I once met with an old Friend who was going off to a distance to fish fly. I gave him two small feathers of the Merlin Hawk, which I happened to have in my pocket- book. When I next saw him, some time afterwards, he told me that he had made two flies with the feathers which I gave him; and that he had caught fifty-six Trouts with them, having carefully re-made and repaired them several times, until they were quite worn out.

THE BLACK CATERPILLARS.
There are two flies of this name, the little one and the large one. The latter is too large for stream fishing, except in very rough weather. The little Black Caterpillar appears about the tenth of May, and when out, may always be found on the hawthorn. It may easily be known by some of its legs hanging down when flying, in a peculiar way, as if one or two of them were broken. Hook 1; wing from a Starling's quill; silk, dark lead colour; a turn or two of black Ostrich's herl under the wings. The large Black Caterpillar is made in a similar way, on a 3 or 4 hook, and is an excellent fly for Lake or Tarn fishing. A few years ago, a large flight of insects came out in the neighbourhood of Coniston, of a kind which I have never noticed before or since. They were in every respect but one, quite similar in size and appearance to the Black Caterpillar. The whole of their legs and thighs were a deep rich claret colour, whilst in the caterpillar they resemble black sealing-wax. In the time of their appearance also there was a difference, as this flight came in September. It was difficult to walk in the lanes without treading upon some of them: they were all over the lake, and upon the hedges, fields, and fells; in fact, they appeared to be everywhere, and remained about a fortnight.

THE BLACK-HEADED RED.
This is a beetle or Lady-bird, made as a hackle, in two ways. First, with a cock's hackle, of which about one-half is red and the other black; second, with a deep red hackle, having a black stripe up the middle of it. Hook 1 or 2; silk, dark orange, or red. This fly is good all the season, especially when the water is resuming its natural size and colour after a flood.

THE LITTLE CHAP.
A small beetle, good from April to October, on sunny days, and an especial favourite with the Grayling. Hook 0 or 1. It is hackled with a Peewitt's topping, or a very small sooty-black hackle, of cock or hen. The body is short, of Peacock's herl; silk, dark lead or very dark brown. In July, orange silk is very good, made to show a turn or two of silk below the Peacock. A very dark-blue dun hackle may sometimes be substituted with advantage.

THE BLACK GNAT.
The Black Gnat is generally first seen early in May, and sometimes congregates in flocks of hundreds if not of thousands. If nicely made, and finely fished, a well filled basket is often the result. I have found it to answer best as a hackle. Hook 0 or 00; feather from the bastard-wing of the Swift, or small hackle from, a very dark brown (nearly black) hen's neck: silk, the colour of Irish snuff; a very fine piece of black Ostrich's herl put on open like a screw to show the silk.

THE ORANGE DUN.
The Orange Dun may be looked for about the middle of May, and lasts to the end of October. There are several distinct ephemerae known by this general name, of which the three following will be found the most useful to the angler. 1st. The dark Orange Dun; hook, 0, 1, 2. Wing from the Merlin Hawk's wing; silk, deep orange ; hackle from, a dark-blue cock or hen's hackle; no dubbing. 2nd. Orange Dun; hook 0, 1, 2; wing from the Starling's quill; hackle from dun cock or hen; silk, orange. 3rd. Light Orange Dun; hook 0, 1, 2; wing from a light-coloured Seagull or Sea-swallow; hackle, very light-blue dun; silk, tawny or faded orange. All these flies may be made as hackles, by feathers of their various shades, which are often to be found on the backs of half- grown chickens. Pigeon or Cuckoo feathers do not wet well. The Dun flies, especially the Orange, and the Blue, and middle Duns, are great favourites on limestone waters, particularly the clear streams of the Peak of Derbyshire, where coarse tackle and slovenly imitations will not do.

THE GROUSE.
This is a beetle, and is excellent from the middle of May to the middle of July in all waters. Hook 1, 2, 3 ; hackle, a dark mottled feather from the back of the cock
moorgame; silk, orange; body, Peacock's herl of a copper colour.

THE IRON BLUE.
This is one of the ephemerae, appears in May and June on cold days, and generally in great numbers. It is a very small fly, and is usually made with wings from the Tomtit's tail or Jackdaw's ruff. The Merlin's wing makes it best. Hook 0 ; silk, dark lead colour ; body, a little Mole's fur. It is called the Iron Blue, I believe, from the resemblance of the colour of its wings to that of tempered steel.

THE GREEN WOODCOCK.
A decided evening fly, and best from the middle of May to the middle of July. It should never be seen upon the line until after six o'clock. In the almost endless days of summer, it will kill, after bright hot days, longer than a person can see his flies. Once, at Midsummer, when on a visit a Birdsgrove, near Ashburn, on the Dove, dtermined to try for an extra large Trout, with, this fly, in the evening; as I had heard of several very fine fish having been taken by some country night fishers. I made a Green Woodcock on one of the largest Salmon hooks I had, perhaps a 15 or 16 Kendal hook. Not having any gut which I thought strong enough for my purpose, I selected sixteen good strong horse-hairs, to which I dressed my fly, making it very rough. That I might not be diverted from my purpose, I took out with me only this one fly. The place I had selected, as most likely for my operations, was an extremely rough narrow stream, about half a mile above Hanging Bridge; with an open stone wall, and excellent holds on the Derbyshire side of it, and not a likely place for a net to be put into, by any one who ever expected to see it come out again whole. I arrived there at dusk, and beginning at the top of the stream, fished it step by step; when I came to the middle of the stream, where it was still very rough, there was a splash at the fly, as if some one had thrown into the water a large paving stone, and my line flew over my head. On looking at it, the sixteen hairs were staring in all drections, but the fly was gone. I have seen many a large Salmon rise, but never any with such a plunge as that; and there was no struggle, but a clear cut. I can only conclude that an Otter had mistaken my large fly, in the rough stream, and in the twilight, for a small fish. Hook ior the Green Woodcock 1, 2,3; hackle, light - coloured feather of mixed brown, dun, and dirty yellow, from a Woodcock's wing ; silk, ivy or apple-green; body, hare's ear (dark part).

THE SILK FLY.
This is one of the most delicate and beautiful insects that we have. It is one of the ephemerae. The angler may not perhaps meet with it half a dozen times in the course of his life, and if he is not prepared with a few ready-made ones, or materials for making them, he need not expect any sport so long as any of the natural flies remain. It is a very rich bright yellow (brighter on limestone than on gravelly or sandstone streams), the colour that of the dandelion flower, body and wings, and is generally made with a dyed feather. There is a North American Starling with a brilliant yellow breast, which imitates it very well, and few dyed feathers are to be trusted, as if stained with vegetable matter, they are apt to fade ; if with mineral acids, they are sure to be tender. Hook 2 ; hackle, bright yellow; body, floss silk of the same colour.

THE SAND GNAT, OR GRAVEL FLY.
A man may have with him ten thousand good flies, ready dressed, on a good fishing day too, and not meet with much sport. In the course of many years' fly-fishing, it had not been my fortune to meet with the Sand Gnat, though I had frequently heard it extolled by my seniors: my angling had been much confined to limestone waters, where it does not appear. It was a fine gray morning, early in June, somewhere about 1825, when I set out in company with a friend from Cold- stream, to have a day's fly-fishing in the Bowmont, one of those well-stocked little Trout rivers which rise in the Cheviots, and find their way by the Till, into the Tweed. We began to fish about eleven o'clock, and as the Trout were feeding pretty steadily, we got on tolerably till about one, when we came to an abrupt turn of the river, with a fine large deep dub; which was quite alive with fish. The flies with which I had previously been having fair diversion—the Grouse, the Spring Dun, and the Kuddy, were no longer of any use. I was quite disconcerted, till looking at the sandy gravel in which I stood, I exclaimed, "It is the Sand Gnat." There they were by scores, under and about my feet, and a gleam of sun, and a light breeze had sent them upon the water. I sat down on the gravel and caught one, and made two imitations, one at each end of a piece of gut. Hook 1; body, light-blue silk; wing, from the brown part of the quill of a Thrush; legs, a dark sooty-dun hen's hackle. I was soon upon my legs again. I got about twenty fish out of that dub, and raised and hooked many more. It was quite still when I left it, and as the fly- feed appeared to be nearly over for that day, I walked away with my friend to Coldstream.

THE BIG DUN
Appears about the end ot May, or beginning of June; it is rather a large ephemera, and the fish are fond of it. Hook 2, 3; wing or hackle, Sea-swallow or Sea-gull; body, yellow camlet and pale blue Rabbit's fur mixed; silk, primrose colour.

THE BRACKEN CLOCK
Is a beetle, bred in light sandy ground, with a south or west aspect. It is very common in Cumberland and Westmoreland, where it is generally called " The Clock." It is first seen about the middle of May, and generally lasts about a month. Hook 2, 3; wing from a Landrail's wing; hackle from a red cock; silk, red; body, Peacock's herl. When this fly is numerous, there is no good fly-fishing for a month after it is fully out. The fish glut themselves with it, and it soon makes them soft and out of condition.

THE FLAT YELLOW
Is a long, flat four-winged May-fly. Hook 1, 2 ; hackle, a white cock's or hen's hackle, dyed with the " Green Drake Dye;" silk, bright yellow; body, a mixture of stained Hare's fur (yellow), which may be got at the hatters, and a little blue Rabbit's, or Water-rat's fur mixed.

THE STONE FLY.
A large flat fly, is generally most seen in the months of May and June. The male and female are very different in appearance. The former has short wings, which are only about half the length of his body, whilst his lady has four large broad flowing ones, an inch long, which give her a very imposing appearance when she comes paddling across the stream. Hook 3; hackle, dark grizzly cock's; body, yellow mohair and Water-rat's fur mixed; silk, light brown.

THE DOWNLOOKER, OR OAK FLY.
A rather large fly, generally seen in or near long grass. It is not, I believe, known where it is bred, certainly not in the oak-apple, as frequently asserted. It has many names, and is beautifully marked and variegated, both in wing, body, and legs, with shades of black, brown, and orange. It stands upon a tree, rail, or post, with its head downwards, whence its name. It appears on breezy, sunny days in May and June. Hook 2; hackle, feather from the top of a Woodcock's wing; body, fur from a Squirrel's cheek; silk, orange.

THE GREEN DRAKE, OR CADOW.
This is the largest ephemera of Trout fishers, and appears generally about the end of May or the beginning of June, varying about a week, as the season is a forward one or otherwise. It continues a fortnight, or more, if the weather be cold. The fish are very partial to it, and it is of little use trying anything else during its stay upon the water, though a few fish may be had with the small flies, in the early part of the day, before the Drake appears, which is often near two o'clock. Many are the ways of imitating this fly. Very large hooks are used for it, often 5 or 6. My own experience has led me to think better of it as a hackle. Hook 2 or 3. A good light-grey feather is got from the side or breast of an old cock Partridge, in December or January. This must be stained by the following mixture.

DYE FOR THE GREEN DRAKE.
Take a large table-spoonful (heaped) of ground quercitron bark, and put it into a glazed mug, with a small tea-spoonful of pounded alum. The feathers to be dyed must first be well washed with soap and warm soft-water, and slowly dried. Pour about half-a-pint of boiling water upon the mixture of bark and alum. Put the feathers in, one by one, and stir them well up with a bit of clean wood. Take out a feather or two—rinse them in cold clear water, and dry them. If the colour is not deep enough, add another spoonful of bark, and a little more hot water, till it is to your mind. The higher coloured ones will be best for the Silk Fly. Put in a few white cock's and hen's hackles at the same time, they will be useful for the Flat Yellow or the Silk Fly. The body for the Green Drake is of wool from the lower part of the abdomen of an old sheep; silk, rather a bright yellow.

THE BLACK DRAKE, OR GREY DRAKE.
This is the same fly as the last, only having lived a few days longer, and cast off some of its superfluous raiment, it has become an old friend, with a new face. Hook 2, 3; hackle, a dark grey feather from the side of the Teal Drake; silk, light brown; body, white floss silk. This fly must be kept very clean whilst making it. After a broiling hot day, when the sun sets, this fly is often taken very greedily for half an hour or an hour.

THE ORANGE FLY.
This is an afternoon and evening fly, in the long days of May and June; good for Trout or Grayling, especially the latter. Hook No. 1; wing from the bright buff part of a Thrush's quill. The legs are imitated by a feather of a Wren's tail, used as a hackle, the long side of the feather being pulled off. The body is formed of orange silk, with a little fur from the cheek of a Squirrel.

THE PALE BLUE, OR WILLOW FLY.
This is a capital fly in September, October, and November. It is often called, the Willow Fly, perhaps, from its being most numerous when the early frosts are taking off the leaves of the willows, which overhang the water. It is a most delicate ephemera, and is equally good for Trout or Grayling. Hook No. 1; wing from the Sea-swallow; silk, pale straw or brimstone colour; hackle, very light-pale blue hen; a little Water- rat's fur for dubbing. This fly is excellent at Matlock, and also on such parts of the Wye and Dove as are sheltered with wood.

THE SHAMROCK FLY.
This is a large gnat, and is excellent in Grayling streams, particularly in September, October, and November. Hook 1, 2 ; Middle dun or blue dun cock's or hen's hackle; silk, ivy green; dubbing, a little Hare's face.

COCK'S HACKLES.
The hackles of game fowls are preferable to those of any other breed, being narrow and well tapered. The hackles of well bred bantams are also very good for small flies.

HOOKS.
IT may be necessary to say that the hooks, mentioned in the foregoing pages, are the Kendal ones; numbered from 0 0 to 16—the double cypher being the smallest Trout, and No. 16, the largest Salmon hook. A hook exceeding No. 6, is rarely used for Trout flies. These hooks, which are excellent in quality and reasonable in price, are made by Mr. Philip Hutchinson, late partner of, and successor to, the famous Adlington, of Kendal; and I think that they are now made better, and more equal in temper, than I ever remember them to have been. Mr. Hutchinson is very obliging in making hooks to order, of any kind which the angler thinks more suitable than the
regular sorts for any particular purpose.

I had a few hundred bright ones, made by him some years ago, and they answered well for fly-fishing on bright sunny days. Of course the size of hook and fly varieswith the water- For instance, if No. 2, is mentioned, an average water is meant. No. 3, would be the same fly for a high, and No. 1, for a low water.

Two flies, which, were inadvertently omitted in their proper place, are here inserted, as without them the Series would be incomplete. They ought to have followed the Orange Fly, and generally make their appearance in August and September.

THE BLACK ANT.
This fly is an inhabitant of woods and coppices, and is very abundant in the neighbourhood of the English lakes. The nest is often of enormous size, sometimes containing more than a cart-load of sticks and small twigs. The Vale of Duddon swarms with Wood Ants, and is the only place in which I have seen the Wryneck, which is said to feed principally on these insects. Like other Ants, they have the enjoyment of wings for a few weeks in each year; and often, as the Proverb says, " to their sorrow," as by them they are conveyed to places where they suffer greatly from birds, as well as from fishes. Body, a strand of Peacock's herl, and one of black Ostrich's herl, laid on together; silk, dark brown; wing, the lightest part of a Starling's quill; hackle from a black Cock.

THE RED ANT.
This fly is much more generally distributed than the former, and is frequently a very good fly for Trout; and is also much admired by Grayling in the month of September: especially in a clearing water after a slight fresh, or in warm, showery weather. Hook 1; body, Peacock's herl; silk, red; hackle from a red Cock; wing, Starling's quill.

Go To Front Page