News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Ticks

Started by Wildfisher, June 01, 2012, 11:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishtales

No need to twist or you might twist the mouth parts off and leave them embedded.

Nice video I found :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/30/science/earth/how-does-a-tick-do-its-dirty-work-research-video-offers-a-clue.html?_r=0
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

emc

Only twist if you are using a Tom O'Tick removal tool, otherwise a straight pull with a pair of very fine tweezers as near to the mouthparts as you can get. There was some research done back in 2006 where T o'T was found to be the best. [Veterinary Record (2006, 159, 526-5290]
Mind you research is not always necessarily correct........

Quote from: Alan on May 05, 2014, 12:18:28 AM
:lol: There are some tics only experienced barmaids should be allowed to remove.

Is there a register of such barmaids, willing to accompany wild fishers into the wilds of Scotland. :8)

Allan Crawford

Our vet recommended twisting and said it was because of the mouth parts

Inchlaggan

Quote from: emc on May 05, 2014, 03:36:24 PM
Is there a register of such barmaids, willing to accompany wild fishers into the wilds of Scotland. :8)

After considerable research the answer is no. Such services are not listed. There was once a barmaid at my local hotel who, it eventually became known, offered a considerable range of "Room Services" to moneyed Gentlemen anglers. When this became known, she was sacked with the memorable line that "she had more suck than the Dyson".
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Midgie Hater

The turn this thread has taken reminds me of a visit to the Bridge of Orchy Hotel about 15 years ago. I could tell you - but then i'd have to kill you ;)

Part-time

I find the O Tom tick remover works best and always use it by rotating it anticlockwise - I heard the same that its to do with the way a ticks mouthparts work. It absolutely NOT recommended (I'm told you can get lymes just by touching a tick) but in the past I have removed ticks by just gently rubbing them round and round anti clockwise with my finger for a minute or two.

Hill loch gold

I think i had better buy a tick removal tool before i go to torridon in 5weeks. I see part-time recommending 1 there. Any other recommendations, or will any tick removal tool do?

Midgie Hater

Quote from: Alan on May 07, 2014, 02:19:08 PM
She is on the register :8)

I was over age at the time ;)

Anyway, the thing about OTom is that all the examples they show on their site feature reasonably sizeable tics. How effective is it with the smallest ones, i.e those you notice early? I would have thought a tool like that would be difficult to deploy on them until they become a bit more bloated, and yet surely the sooner you extract them the better? For me it's been a pair of small tweezers. That said I've had a small number of extraction failures since they started bothering me, but still (I think) managed to get the rest out with some persistence, pain and blood-letting.

Midgie Hater

Quote from: guest on May 07, 2014, 10:36:45 PM
You get two sizes of twisters.  A small one for the small ticks and a larger one for the larger ticks. Quite clever really

Yes. Obviously I had not realised this having only looked at the main page video. Sometimes sarcasm really is the lowest form of (t)wit.

Quote from: Alan on May 07, 2014, 11:09:44 PM
I'd be careful with normal tweezers, there is a tendency to squeeze and nip the body clean off leaving the head still in, the tweezers i posted grip from the side and with round points so you don't cut the rascal when you pull.

I agree Alan. I've had a couple of scares that way as stated although I tended to ensure I dug deep in order to get at them, which often meant drawing blood unfortunately, though not thankfully the blood the tic had sucked. I saw the Lifesystems one somewhere and reviews varied a little but I guess it's like any product. If used correctly it does what it says on the tin. I may well, after some concerns about this the past, go back to the twist method using the appropriate tool(s).

Midgie Hater

Go To Front Page