News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

River Tay Waulkmill

Started by burnie, March 04, 2010, 08:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnie

I have been treated by some very generous family members to 2 days fishing for silver tourists on the Tay on 2 saturdays in April,it having been my birthday.
Now the reality dawns,I've never seriously fished for Salmon on a "proper" water.I shall ring "my" ghillie,Jim Last nearer the day,but would welcome some "advice" on how to behave.
Am I allowed to curse and swear if I lose a fish,hurl abuse at anyone within close proximity if I don't get a touch?
No doubt I'll arrive with more flys than Mallochs,but what else should I take.
Do I have to bribe the ghillie with a bottle to get put on some fish or is it going to be a lovely day oot?
All answers on a post card to "desperate" of Inverkeilor.

DufferNumber1

hi i have fished waukmill often latest being monday past losing a clean fish approx 20lbs :at the net i would take some spinning gear as you will have a go at harling gillie jimmy last is a smashing guy he will keep you right he also has harling gear waukmillis alovely place to fish tight lines on the day yours in fishing jimmy

burnie

Thanks for the replies,I do have a 1 3/4lb test spinning rod and could take both a small multiplyer and fixed spool reels.Is it still a combiination of tobys and flying condoms for lures?
I bought a double handed Salmon rod in an auction a few years ago,but have never used it as I always have got on fine with a single handed trout rod on the smaller rivers like the Isla ans Ericht.
Looks like some casting practice on the village park before I go then :D

Clan Ford

Burnie,

When I was talking to Martin the Ghillie at the Grayling Stravaig he reckoned that Devons were a good bet on the Tay, particullarly early in the season.  He was wishing that more of his anglers would spin as he was sure that they would get better returns using that in the spring....

Might be worth dropping him a PM or checking out some of the salmon forums?

Norm

burnie

Malcolm suggested I contact Martin,I will do just that(though it's a rivals beat I'm on),don't think I've got any usable Devons,gonna have to visit a tackle shop.

zeolite

Devons are what the gillies recommend at that end of the Tay. I would get some floating ones and weights to pull them down as that is a nice and effective way to fish with them. I find that fishing the sinkers go for my shoulder after a while. The advantage of the floater is that they can be controlled to be off the bottom that little bit to avoid snags. (some of the time anyway)
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

burnie

Do you fish the devons with a three way swivel and a weak link to the weight?My multiplyer is loaded with braid,would that be suitable for Salmon on the lower river,braid can be easily cut if it's very rocky.

haresear

Quote from: burnie on March 05, 2010, 07:39:31 PM
Do you fish the devons with a three way swivel and a weak link to the weight?My multiplyer is loaded with braid,would that be suitable for Salmon on the lower river,braid can be easily cut if it's very rocky.

That's what I did burnie, when I used to fish the Tay. I used drilled bullets stopped with a split shot and an overhand knot on a weak link of 10lb b.s. The reason for the bullet in preference to an Arlesey bomb is that the bomb can wobble in the current.

The thinking at that time was to use light colours in cold water. Yellow, fluorescent pink etc.

Like Zeolite, I preferred to fish a light wooden or plastic devon on a heavy lead. You get no line twist that way as the lead acts as an anti kink.

The best of luck Burnie

Alex
Protect the edge.

burnie

Thanks for your advice lads,trawling the tinternet for ideas,odd fish being caught it would seem from a low clear river.

burnie

Just an update,this "free" fishing is working out a bit expensive,?25 on devon minnows in Dundee,then on to Perth.Another ?20 on tube flies(not got any of those so had to get a few,just in case) and then there was a 14' fly rod that kept winking at me and of course my lines were all too light to work this.Then I got sprung by her indoors,who'd got me by the throat in the high street,much to the astonishment of the shoppers.Went down to the fishing hut and had a blether with the boat man and 2 anglers who were braving the elements,so all ready to go.Sorting out the spinning gear after having just amused the neighbours "fishing" on the village park,new rods great.

Go To Front Page