News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Food

Started by Fishtales, May 18, 2012, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guddler

That sounds pretty tasty and easy, Alan. I'll have to see if our Tesco stocks them or not.
My biggest feed the other week was of the much-maligned cous cous variety  :gay4  Chopped up half a chorizo and heated it olive oil with some spring onion so that all that lovely fat melts out into the pan. Bung in a packet of some sort of mediterranean tomatoey cous cous, top up with boiling loch water, leave for 5mins and then fill your belly. Have to say it very nice and will certainly be using it again.

I actually took too much grub for an overnighter as I just really snacked on the 2nd day after a hot breakfast of porridge and tattie scones. It was the lightest I've ever had my pack at as well at 27lbs (including a litre of water and all fishing gear) so I reckon I could shave a bit more off yet.

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Alan on August 28, 2012, 12:13:25 AM
i turn into Gordon Ramsey

Aye you can hear the shouted expletives for miles around  :lol:

I got uncle bens 'risotto' as a variation on the uncle bens not risotto, for last weekends trip. Dont bother its sh*t! Like uncle bens but in walpaper paste.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on August 27, 2012, 11:30:13 PM
bit like those food packs you get from camping shops but a fraction of the cost and taste better, tesco..

add burn water, chop spring onions and grate some cheese into this..

What section is this stuff in?   There's a big Tesco Extra in Inverurie I can never find anything in there.

Otter Spotter

Quote from: admin on August 28, 2012, 03:49:40 PM
What section is this stuff in?   There's a big Tesco Extra in Inverurie I can never find anything in there.

Thats what I was thinking, I was shopping in the mega huge tesco in perth and all they had was the usual UB rice varieties etc, never saw any meat!
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

east wind

Quote from: admin on August 28, 2012, 03:49:40 PM

I had at few of those with me for a camping trip at the start of the month. got them from ASDA, quite nice especially the meatballs.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

I'll have a wee run doon to Tesco tomorrow and see if they have them

Wildfisher

Well, that was disappointing but no real surprise. The Tesco extra store in Inverurie does not stock these meals. Perhaps they are deemed too exotic for the North East teuchter palette? Goodness knows.  :roll:

Billy

I carried a few packs of Mug Shots about with me when i was roaming the Uist hills.

Pretty tasty and Tescos are doing a deal with them just now. Empty into a mug and add boiling water. After a few minutes and a few stirs.

No weight in them at all.

Billy

johnsd

Just though I would visit this post again thinking of doing some camping/fishing trips this year does anyone have any more suggestions on food or anything new that has become popular in these last few years cheers John
yer going where

caorach

I eat out a lot John but, being honest, very rarely camp.

If you want to go really light but still eat "lots" then the freeze dried meals are pretty good but very expensive, someone like myself who would only eat a few in a year can justify them but someone who might want to eat for a week would be out a fortune. They are ideal if you are walking to Lewis lochs, as I usually am, and so can drink and use the water from the burns and lochs as carrying freeze dried means you are not carrying any water at all which can be a big saving. I use them for my occasional overnight camping trip plus I store a few for emergencies should I get an unexpected day out or whatever.

The rice etc. in pouches as shown earlier in this thread is great as you can heat it up by just dropping the bag into boiling water and there is a huge choice in most Tescos or similar. There are also Puy Lentils available something like this (I think they've changed their range recently but you get the idea):

http://www.hawthornhealth.com/general-health-c7/merchant-gourmet-puy-lentils-tomato-basil-250-g-p40994/s49858?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=merchant-gourmet-puy-lentils-tomato-amp-basil-250-g-mrt2&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CPLY8vei3tECFU06GwodGS4Bzg

These can be tasty to just boil up in water and have with something, take pigeon breasts and just fry them up for example or whatever takes your fancy or sometimes I'd just use them instead of rice as something different.

In the past Tesco carried "food in a pouch" from a company called "Look What We Found" (they also did mail order but seem to have stopped that) and they were very good value and quite tasty meals, again just drop them in boiling water in their pouch. I would normally have one of these with a pouch of rice as well. Getting "Look What We Found" meals has become tricky and Tesco have stopped doing them so recently I tried a company called Muscle Foods as they do meals in a pouch aimed, as you'd guess, at people looking to build muscle. They are, as a result, high in protein so there is a lot of meat in them but they seem to keep the salt and other stuff down and this can leave them a little "bland" beside meals with more additives however they are worth a try and will deliver mail order, I like them and would use them again.

There are also options to cook "fresh" but this often takes too much time and means carrying too much stuff. Also the "food in a bag" type meals are handy as you can just throw them in the rucksack and walk out the door so it makes life simple.   

Go To Front Page