News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

the mythical mullet dvd (mike ladle/steve pitts)

Started by corsican dave, February 22, 2010, 10:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

i have to confess, i've become a bit of a fan of mike ladle. it's the combination of a scientific mind and a wry sense of humour, coupled with an absolute passion for fishing that does it.

this dvd is of a film dating from 1991, aiming to show that catching mullet isn't difficult: it's just people's approach that's wrong. and that's what made it compelling viewing from start to finish, as the principles are as fresh today as they were 20 years ago. observe your fish, learn about them, be open minded as to your methods and be prepared to adapt your approach accordingly. brilliant! it's not exactly rocket science, but how many fishermen can REALLY say they do this? (how many actually WATCH fish??)

yes, so it's a bit scratchy (originally shot on video) and obviously the clothing and tackle are dated (but effective!). but, you get to see a lot of fish, explore some new techniques and learn how to age fish, make bar spoons etc. fly fishermen have to wait around 40 mins for their "bit", but won't be disappointed in the meantime. purists beware: mike ladle views fly tackle as just another means of delivering potential food to fish :shock:

there's more real information in 10 mins of this film than you find in a whole series by gilbey/hayes et al  (or all 3 series by robson green. or is it 4, now? who cares anyway :roll:)

better still, you can pick it up for the princely sum of ?1.99 new from amazon (you get "trout fishing with des taylor" thrown in as well) and the running time's just over an hour for each.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Black-Don

Haven't seen the video Dave but I was murdering, o.k. I caught 2  :roll:, Mullet in the harbour at Puerto Del Carmen in Lanzarote the last time we were there.

A French bread flake fly tied on a size sixteen treble with a bubble float indicator bung.  :wink:

You know it makes sense.  :8)

Go To Front Page