News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Three Tying Books Reviewed

Started by Inchlaggan, June 12, 2010, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Whenever my failings in any art or craft are exposed (often) I buy a book on the subject in order to make me an expert (this fails). However, I have found the following of interest?

Fish Flies- The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier?s Art, Terry Hellekson
The Fly Tier?s Benchside Reference, Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer
Trout Flies, The Tier?s Reference, Dave Hughes

Nice weighty tomes each of them at 700, 450 and 470 pages respectively.

The first caveat is that they are all American in origin, and the names of flees and other terminology reflects this ? ?Sofa Pillows? anyone?

Start at the top, Fish Flies. 2,950 patterns described. A short, but informative history of fishing flies, a brief discussion on tools and materials and then onto the patterns. Tying instructions are minimal, as is entomology but the writing style is chatty and informative. There are no tying sequences and whilst the patterns are largely American they do include UK and European favourites, to include the dreaded P*t*r R*ss. The down side is the lack of photographs only a quarter of the patterns are illustrated at 24 to the page on 32 colour plates.

Second, The Fly Tier?s Benchside Reference. First off you are going to have to double the size of your tying table to accommodate this book. There are no patterns in this reference, rather the individual techniques required for each part of the fly are described in minute detail- around 5-6 steps for each procedure, each illustrated by a quality photograph. There is a reasonable guide to tools and materials and the techniques are meticulously cross-referenced producing dozens of variations for tying on a wing, for example. The down side is finding the technique for the problem in front of you- what will it be called?- but after a few tying sessions you will know where to look.

Lastly, Trout Flies. A stimulating introduction on the how, why and where of flies leads to a brief introduction to tools and materials and then onto the first of over 500 patterns. The first third of these the author terms ?searching flies?. I struggled with this term at first but in short they are flies that simulate rather than imitate. Once the imitative fly section begins (the vast majority of the book) patterns are arranged by entomology with a short introduction and photaes of the naturals. Step by step instructions (with photaes) for each type are followed by descriptions and photaes of any variations. Where the variation involves a different style or tying technique this is described and illustrated.

Currently at ?30- 40 each on Amazon the threesome will set you back ?110- check out the ?see inside? option on the pattern books to view the index and get a look at the patterns that are featured.

IMHO, I?d have the Benchside reference first, Trout Flies second and Fish Flies third, but reiterating the American caveat, put all three together and you have a comprehensive education on trout flies and an immediate need to reinforce the legs on your coffee table.

Has my tying improved? We?ll see.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

haresear

The second two books sound the best from your description.

QuoteThe first caveat is that they are all American in origin, and the names of flees and other terminology reflects this ? ?Sofa Pillows? anyone?

Sofa Pillow is a syle of fly and a stimulator variant I think. Intended as an imitation of the big Rocky Mountain salmonfly (a huge stonefly)  I first came across descriptions of the fly when doing my homework for a trip to Canada.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotfly

I have the flytyers benchside reference and can't recommend it highly enough.
I'm getting trout flies, the tiers reference for fathers day and looking forward to reading it.

Go To Front Page