News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

which salmon book?

Started by corsican dave, August 03, 2010, 10:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeolite

Sandy

I think you meant to say "One can spey cast with a single hander"! I find it much easier with a double hander.  :shock:

I think it has to do with the extra length as much as anything. You can reach round overhanging bushes and a wee flick or two does the job with the DH whereas I have to put some power into the SH.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Malcolm

I use DH and singlehanders depending on the river. It's a compromise, isn't it? A double hander will generally cast bigger and heavier flies better and can reach over currents an obstructions. However if you are casting from overhanging trees and under overhanging trees then a single hander wins every time. It's also a lot easier to cast further in restricted spaces with a single ander as you just double haul the line to create extra line speed rather than having to rely solely on the rod arc. On my local river using a double hander would severely limit the fishing.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

G Ritchie

I would get one of the books by Alexander Baird Keachie, they are a bit more up to date.

corsican dave

cheers, guys! i've ended up with one of oglesby's books  :shock: as i managed to pick it up for 38p... i think it's worth that :lol:

it would appear that once i've mastered the principles of "down and across", that's salmon fishing pretty much sorted. of course i'll then have to write volumes telling you how clever i've been catching more fish than my companions, even though i claim to have no insight as to why a particular technique works :roll:

mind you, i've still got to work out how to identify a salmon.... :8)

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Clan Ford

Quote from: corsican dave on August 15, 2010, 09:39:11 AM

it would appear that once i've mastered the principles of "down and across", that's salmon fishing pretty much sorted.

If only....

There is up stream nymphing, big dry flies and of course stripping a lure, the list goes on and on.  Some times the traditions in the UK are a barrier but not, I suspect for you dave :D

Norm

burnie

It would seem in the mystical east,most anglers are using shooting heads and stripping,down and across is hardly done,it would seem.(though most fish are taken on spinners,even when the booking clearly states fly only) :worms

corsican dave

Quote from: Clan Ford on August 15, 2010, 10:07:15 AM
Some times the traditions in the UK are a barrier but not, I suspect for you dave :D

Norm

too true, norm! it's all about getting food to fish at the end of the day :lol: and yes, burnie: i'd noticed that 90% of the catches round here are on spinning rigs :roll:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Malcolm

Quote from: Clan Ford on August 15, 2010, 10:07:15 AM
If only....

There is up stream nymphing, big dry flies and of course stripping a lure, the list goes on and on.  Some times the traditions in the UK are a barrier but not, I suspect for you dave :D

Norm

Some people have tried the bombers for dry fly - quite extensively too but they don't seem to work too well in Scotland. The big bright nymphs we use for grayling sometimes seem very sucessful usually after the end of the season in my case!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

tweedbunnet

corsican dave

Very interesting reading through the posts on this topic.

IMHO, there is no book out there to compare with what you can learn via the Web and the various forums that abound.

I have fished with all sorts of peple for Trout and salmon - from the unemployable up to the top end of the social scale.  In my experience, there are only two types of angler.  Those that like to share knowledge and those that don't - the Givers and the Takers, you might call them.

As a working class Scot, I feel it is a part of my cultural heritage to be able to fish for Trout and Salmon.  You can get an awful lot of fishing for the price of an annual subsription to a Golf Club or even following your favourite Football Team over a Season.  It is the cost of travel and accomodation that is the Killer now costwise.

My local Club has a Season Ticket @?30.The River Clyde Angling Associations offer Salmon fishing at very reasonable prices for what is good fishing over a 1000 Salmon and Sea Trout, last year, I understand.  The River Kelvin also had a great season with over 800.

However, sometimes it is just a better day out when you fish a 4 rod beat @, say, ?60-70 a day.  it is all fishing and no waiting on people fishing out a  pool.

I have just come back from 2 days on the Tweed, where I fished really good fly water etc.  The chances of a Spring fish were slight.  The party of 4 had 15 Kelts, Baggots,Rawners and one clean fish!  It was good value fishing all things considered, and certainly great craic.

Salmon fishing is all about fishing when the fish are there and in the mood, not when it suits your diary.

tb

corsican dave

Quote from: tweedbunnet on February 20, 2011, 08:36:38 AM

Salmon fishing is all about fishing when the fish are there and in the mood, not when it suits your diary.

tb
tb, couldn't agree more!

i'm just enjoying "salmon on a fly" by lee wulff.here's a little snippet:
"one man i took to a high place on the bank from which the whole floor of the pool was visible. from that point of vantage it was easy to see that there wasn't a fish in the pool. instead of being grateful fo my keeping him from wasting any more time there, he was exceedingly upset because i had spoiled his fishing"

Go To Front Page