News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Writing Your Book

Started by Wildfisher, January 20, 2011, 07:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

They say everyone has at least one book in them. Anyone ever thought about trying it?

Inchlaggan

Yep, working on it right now. A good place to start is blurb.com
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Black-Don

Yup, been working on mine for the last ten years.  :)

corsican dave

thought i'd start off with some short articles and maybe punt around the mags..  not sure how interesting people would find my tales of mediocre and pretty inept fishing for frankly, fairly small and un-inspiring fish. but maybe, just maybe; if i can convey the sense of fun, adventure and friendship from these simple pleasures, then who knows?

i have to say i really enjoy reading compilations or collections of short stories. perfect for bed-time or over a pint by the fire.

maybe we could get something together between us?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

bushy palmer

Quote from: corsican dave on January 20, 2011, 10:16:35 PM

Ahh but would we divulge locations?

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on January 20, 2011, 10:16:35 PM

There is at least one anthology in Fish Wild.

corsican dave

Quote from: bushy palmer on January 20, 2011, 10:21:41 PM
Ahh but would we divulge locations?

don't think you have to. if the writing is of sufficient quality and character then a "sense of place" should be enough to hold the reader. i, as i'm sure many others do, use "pet" names for locations that mean something to me and probably no-one else ie "the dipper swim"; i think this adds charm and character and, hopefully helps create an image in the reader's mind which, while unique and personal to the reader (which is, of course, the beauty of the written word), also contributes to a feeling of empathy with the author.

a fairly long-winded way of saying "No" ! :lol: although on occasions it may add something to the narrative... :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

bushy palmer

Quote from: corsican dave on January 20, 2011, 11:57:43 PM
a fairly long-winded way of saying "No" ! :lol:

If we find we're struggling to fill pages I reckon you should be the editor. You turned that one word in to about forty- it was entertaining and I was never bored once! :D

corsican dave

Quote from: guest on January 21, 2011, 12:03:53 AM
I'm working on the TV series at the moment - when that takes off, I'll bring out a book at Xmas to cash in :D

so have you already had a passably successful career as a second-rate actor and lamentably poor pop singer, with questionable casting ability? if so, i'm sure you'll go far... :8)

corsican dave

hah! failed on counts 1 & 2: WAY over qualified, i'm afraid! :lol:

however, i'm sure there's a chapter in there (and we're dying to read it), so get writing!!

or stop by for a beer and i'll get the dictaphone out... :8)

ps corsican in fhm? you'd better believe it

Go To Front Page