News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Writing Your Book

Started by Wildfisher, January 20, 2011, 07:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Hey folks,

I've never thought about writing a book, but at the end of each season i print off and collate my reports and photos from the forum and give them to my Dad as part of his xmas present. It's surprising how my random waffling throughout the year actually becomes a half decent account of a season's fishing.

Andy-what band? I probably liked them.

cheers

Paul

Malcolm

I am almost through my process of putting 32 years worth of diaries onto a dB - all the lochs, rivers, flies, time spent fishing etc.  It's an anoraks delight especially now I can do totals per loch, best flies (hopper), total hours per salmon (18), time spent fishing (you don't want to know),  highest average trout weight (Caladail and Dee are high up, the top two don't get published here!) etc.

Can I make a book out of this?   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

bushy palmer

Quote from: Malcolm on January 21, 2011, 03:24:29 PM
I am almost through my process of putting 32 years worth of diaries onto a dB - all the lochs, rivers, flies, time spent fishing etc.  It's an anoraks delight especially now I can do totals per loch, best flies (hopper), total hours per salmon (18), time spent fishing (you don't want to know),  highest average trout weight (Caladail and Dee are high up, the top two don't get published here!) etc.

Can I make a book out of this?   

My cousin keeps stats just like that and it makes for absolutely fascinating reading. Whenever we are returning to an area he can produce a mini guide to the lochs including which flies, maps of hotspots and sport rate (fish per angler per hour)

Wildfisher

I don't  believe  anyone should consider writing a book unless they believe they have something really worth saying. Therein lies the  question.  What is worth saying?  

As far as fishing books and articles go I find many of them tedious in the extreme because the writers appear to have no idea, connection or background with the places they are writing about.  Magazine articles  about my local  river The Don that are written by visitors from out with Scotland are a good example. The guys write about the times they catch fish (writing about their blanks would not sell magazines), but the  product is dry and dull. Just IMO of course!  :lol:

Purely  instructional books / articles  are IMO tiresome and probably all but redundant with the advent of the WWW

haresear

Protect the edge.

burnie

I am currently assisting in a book on urban fishing past and present(I'm doing the past bit) and have the gist of a book on Whisky,which will be written,though doubtfull it will be published.

Clansman

I am currently putting together a short guide book on places to fish in the Lake District for my work. This will be available for guest at the hotel to purchase. The idea came about as a few of our guests have been asking about fishing in the area and all the staff pass the guests to me for places to go. The boss overheard this one day and asked if I would be interested in putting together the guide book.

I will naturally be leaving out some locations due to the sensitivity of the areas and also for my self and trusted friends and colleagues

Inchlaggan

Quote from: Wild Boar on January 23, 2011, 04:16:48 PM
I am currently putting together a short guide book on places to fish in the Lake District for my work. This will be available for guest at the hotel to purchase.

pretty much exactly the same as my project.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Highlander

Been toying around with this for a number of years. If I do I will wait till I retire in three years time.
Long over due a modern book on Clyde Flies I feel but not being "a writer" handicaps me a bit. Still we will see.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page