News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Winter reading

Started by Tweed, October 09, 2011, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweed

Anyone read any decent fishing books lately that they'd care to recommend.  I know there are a good few covered in this section of the forum, but any other recommendations would be gratefully received.

Just picked up John Gierach's "Death , taxes and leaky waders" and really enjoying it.  Put it down first time round - not sure why.  Maybe I'm maturing . . . .

Cheers,

Andrew

Inchlaggan

I usually return to "The Gigantic Book of Fishing Stories"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigantic-Book-Fishing-Stories/dp/1873674120/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318157843&sr=1-1

and if that price is correct- a real bargain for a tad under 800 pages.

That and a few dips into "Bugs Britannica" to improve my pish-talking.

Then the tying books come out.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Tweed on October 09, 2011, 12:51:52 PM
Just picked up John Gierach's "Death , taxes and leaky waders" and really enjoying it. 

He is a great writer. I find his stories interesting because he writes around, not about fishing. Fishing is the backdrop.

davefromtheattic

That's on my list for Santa. Looking forward to it. Something tells me we're not going to be short of stuff to read this winter.

Ythanjoe

The Longest Silence by Thomas Mc Guane is my favorite, a good read at any time , but the tarpon and bonefish chapters are best saved for during a long haul flight, when the SWFF kit is stowed in the hold....
Joe

Tweed

Aye, a grand read Joe.  One I have in my collection but read a good few years ago, so probably well worth a re-visit.  Cheers.

Tweed

Quote from: admin on October 09, 2011, 01:10:29 PM
He is a great writer. I find his stories interesting because he writes around, not about fishing. Fishing is the backdrop.

Agreed.  He really paints a picture that let's you imagine yourself there with him.  There's a really nice modesty and understatement about his writing as well; the kind you really only get with someone who you just know is a good enough fisher to have nothing to prove - not unlike the majority on here.

Malcolm

Three favourites:
Trout - Ernest Schwiebert - mammoth book

A singing Reel - Moray Maclaren (Best Fishing book ever written)

Fishing in Wild Places - David Street.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on October 09, 2011, 09:46:24 PM
A singing Reel - Moray Maclaren (Best Fishing book ever written)

On the strength of that I just bought it on Amazon £9.50.

I hope it's good Malcolm - no pressure though.   :lol:

Ythanjoe

Quote from: Malcolm on October 09, 2011, 09:46:24 PM
Fishing in Wild Places - David Street.

I liked this one, not read A Singing Reel, might wait for Freds verdict first though :D

Another that I pick up again from time to time is Rod and Line , Arthur Ransome, just well written and a pleasure to read.

Go To Front Page