News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Winter reading

Started by Tweed, October 09, 2011, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

QuoteA singing Reel - Moray Maclaren (Best Fishing book ever written)
?
I am waiting on a delivery of this book.
Anyone else care to give a quick comment on it?

Malcolm

CC,

I've recommended this to a few people most liked it a lot. One or two didn't. The second half of the book, for me, is much better than the first. This was the book that got me all enthusiastic about Shetland and the Faroes. I still haven't found my way to the Faroes yet.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on November 13, 2011, 11:35:37 AM
I've recommended this to a few people most liked it a lot

I started  it last night. It looks very promising.  :D

silverbutcher

Adrift in Caledonia: Boat-hitching for the Unenlightened.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adrift-Caledonia-Boat-hitching-Nick-Thorpe/dp/0316726885/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321186236&sr=8-2

Not a fishing book, but one I would thoroughly recommend. Fellow hitches his way on various water craft. Starting in Leith on the canal, he goes all the way to the Clyde, up the west coast then to Orkney and Shetland isles via the Caledonian canal before finally returning down the east coast.

I was in tears of laughter at some of the antics. Nice light hearted reading to cheer you up in the dark winter months.

enjoy

Billy

shad

Thanks for that Billy, sounds  a  great  read just  ordered a 2ndhand  copy from Amazon.

Colin

Tweed

Quote from: Ythanjoe on October 09, 2011, 08:28:57 PM
The Longest Silence by Thomas Mc Guane is my favorite, a good read at any time ,

Just finished this one - thanks for the reminder Joe.  A grand read indeed and I like the short-story format.  To be honest though I'd still put Gierach's "Death, taxes & leaky waders" out in front - more a reflection of the fact it's probably one of the most enjoyable angling books I've ever read - that and the fact he uses a few less big words.  Both great reads though.

It's "a Singing Reel" next up, followed by "Beneath the Black Water"

Wildfisher

I just filled a gaping hole in my Scottish fishing literature by ordering "The Practical Angler" by W.C. Stewart.  Amazon not surprisingly.   :D

Ythanjoe

Quote from: Malcolm on November 13, 2011, 11:35:37 AM
This was the book that got me all enthusiastic about Shetland and the Faroes. I still haven't found my way to the Faroes yet.
Right, thats A Singing Reel ordered for me , I've had a Faroes itch for two years now , perhaps this book will be the final push..

Others I read last winter and would pick up again:
Fishing in wild places - David Street
The earth is enough - Harry Middleton

Joe

Guddler

Read " A Singing Reel" last year and determined I would retrace Moray McLarens footsteps to his little Sandness loch and fish it with a 3 weight, as he did. Didn't manage to fit it in but I'll get there yet.

His trip to the Faeroes sounded marvellous and I'd love to try their fishing. The only time time I have visited was as a hormone-wracked teenager in 1985 and any thoughts of fishing were displaced by the beautiful (and very uninhibited) Faeroese lasses.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ythanjoe on November 13, 2011, 11:06:39 PM
Right, thats A Singing Reel ordered

I am really enjoying it. It's quirky.  :D

Go To Front Page